View Single Post
Unread 05-29-2012, 01:33 PM

I believe any 2 lead 12v coil will work, since the points are what determines when the coil fires on older bikes. A CDI in newer bike ignition systems control when the coils discharge with a microprocessor.

Determining which coil wire is always on, and which one is the pulsed on the new coil will be the most difficult part in the change, but looking at the wiring diagram from the bike the new coil is off of, will clear that up quick. In the diagram, the pulse wire will be going from the coil into the CDI first. The pulse wire this connects to on on our bike is the green coil wire connection that goes to the points. The other wire will always be hot when the key is switched on, this wire will go to the black wire the old coil plugged into. Mine is from a Yamaha XJ650 for cylinders 1&4, the wiring is orange to green, and red/white to black...if you don't want to figure out the wiring.

It is possible to go to a COP or coil on plug system, where each plug has it's own coil built into the spark plug cap...I don't have any experience with that mod, but have read about those types of conversions for bikes like my 454.

I am getting a lot of rain from the tropical storm, that's the only thing keeping me from getting something posted up video wise.