View Single Post
Unread 05-26-2012, 07:07 AM

The old coil to begin with was barely reading an ohm when I installed it nearly year ago, I am surprised it ever worked at all, it got very hot during the extreme revs and was trying to roll forward from all the vibration, so it took me a good ten seconds to shut it off.

Right after I shut it off, I turned the key back on to resume what I was doing, it was on a good 45 minutes or more before I realized it was on. After the coil dripped out some wax about the amount of a small marble if rolled into ball, I tested the battery and it was reading nearly 14 volts, so yeah no doubt about the charging system working any more...I am guessing the charge that the stator built up during the insane revving, was discharging back through the battery the whole 45 or so minutes I was away.

The XS650 coil I put on it read 2 ohms on both leads, about where one should be for this bike if I remember right.

I don't really think it was the conversion, just a coil barely hanging on to begin with and user error. I had no idea, that if you were to accidentally to leave the key on there's a chance you could fry the coil...lil late but good to know, I guess I should add checking my points for damage to today's list

I suppose if I didn't enjoy working on bikes, this would have been a problem instead of fun

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-26-2012 at 07:10 AM.