View Single Post
Unread 08-09-2012, 05:54 AM

Default Unusual damage...

Hey guys, I just thought I'd share a little experience with my 1966 CA160 though it applies across the board. I got my bike earlier this year and worked on getting her running after 20 plus years of sitting in somebodies basement. Since the bike was in great condition I choose to preserve rather than restore.
Upon getting the bike running I noticed that the right cylinder smoked a bit. I started to treat with some Marvel in the oil and gas thinking I might have a stuck ring which wouldn't be too uncommon for a bike that has been sitting.
I figured on treating and running the bike in hope of loosening the rings. While I don't actually ride here in St.Pete to much (you are car magnet in central Florida) I was putting enough time on her to sort this out, or so I thought.
Anyway since part of my mission is "rehoming" bikes to folks needing a vintage experience, the opportunity came up to place this bike in a good home. Since I don't like passing problems on to other folks, I decided to pull the top end and get a look at the rings and determine if I had stuck or broken rings. Turns out that the later was the case and now I suspect the reason for parking the bike in the first place. Both plugs looked real good and the head and piston ( in the bore) looked normal. The bike ran well and seemed to have good compression (though I never did a comp check).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1906.jpg (130.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1911.jpg (206.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1914.jpg (208.0 KB, 8 views)