Thread: horn woes
View Single Post
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
I have built or rebuilt Two CA95's, Two CA160's and I am working on a 3rd. Not to brag but to make a point.

I also busted my tail trying to figure out why the horn works with raw power, but when it's on-line it does not work...and dims lights and such.

Under the horn shell is a 10mm nut. The horn works kinda like points. You hit the button, the horn "points" close and you get sound. When the horn competes with the other electrical componants and is out of adjustment, there is not enough juice to vibrate the horn diaphram.

So before going through too much folly, take the horn shell off (no need to remove it) turn the ignition "on" (don't leave it on too long) and have someone depress the horn button while you adjust the contact nut. Give it a try.

Don't expect a loud horn. On one of my builds I used a new 6V aftermarket horn that was louder than stock.

Actually, I would like a nice compressed gas horn. The horn on the little Honda is close to useless.
I finally had some time to take Spokes' advice and fiddle with the nut inside the horn. After some tweaking it sounded a bit better, but not full enough. Smart me then decided to blow some contact cleaner onto the internal wiring and that totally worked. Thanks to Spokes for the motivation.

I decided to take the bike to the eastsideclassicaustin.com show this afternoon, right after I had gotten the horn to work properly. I rode the couple of blocks there, happily tooting the horn for my own amusement, parked the bike and hung out and chatted for a couple of hours. As I fired her up to head out, the clutch cable snapped at the lever. Started her up in neutral, slammed it into first and made my way home

If ain't one thing, it's another...eh?