Thread: horn woes
View Single Post
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:57 PM

I'm having a different sort of problem - mine doesn't fit. I picked up an aftermarket horn (since mine was missing), but they are all a different mounting center than on the frame. Were the earlier horns a little different?
Either way, looks like I need to fab a bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
I have built or rebuilt Two CA95's, Two CA160's and I am working on a 3rd. Not to brag but to make a point.

I also busted my tail trying to figure out why the horn works with raw power, but when it's on-line it does not work...and dims lights and such.

Under the horn shell is a 10mm nut. The horn works kinda like points. You hit the button, the horn "points" close and you get sound. When the horn competes with the other electrical componants and is out of adjustment, there is not enough juice to vibrate the horn diaphram.

So before going through too much folly, take the horn shell off (no need to remove it) turn the ignition "on" (don't leave it on too long) and have someone depress the horn button while you adjust the contact nut. Give it a try.

Don't expect a loud horn. On one of my builds I used a new 6V aftermarket horn that was louder than stock.

Actually, I would like a nice compressed gas horn. The horn on the little Honda is close to useless.