Thread: horn woes
View Single Post
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:39 AM

Default horn woes

i'm just getting my 66 benly wrapped up and ready for inspection, working on one last little problem...the horn.

you can hear the horn make a really small squeak as you let go of the button, happens every time. all other electronics are working great.

here's what i've done:
-took the horn off and tested it direct to the battery and it sounded off perfectly
-took apart and cleaned the switch
-pulled the battery, air filter, etc, and got into the harness to check for any bad wiring. while it wasn't the most pretty wiring, there weren't any major no-nos
-checked the connection on the coil, connection to the stop switch, wiring behind the headlight

i did the steps above one after the other and, after fiddling around behind the headlight, i decided to button her back up and see what happened. WHOA, the horn worked just fine! the bike kicked right over and i was blasting away on the horn for a good few minutes...so proud of myself.

then i realized the the headlight wasn't on. i thought i must have knocked something loose inside the headlight bucket, so i opened it back up and, sure enough, the green cable to the headlight had been disconnected. buttoned her back up, kicked right over, headlight back to normal...back to the abnormal with the horn!

so, with the headlight off, the horn was perfect. with the headlight on, barely a squeak.

thoughts?