View Single Post
Unread 10-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I sat down in the morning ready to install the new valves in the nice clean cylinder head. But when I looked closer I realized I still needed to clean out the carbon inside the valve ports that. Ahhhhhh, better fill up on coffee and warm up the cordless Dremel tool for some more dirty work. <_< I scraped out the gummy carbon gunk out and used a couple different attachments in order to do a quick grind to remove the majority. Nasty stuff and there was a lot of it. Now that I could see the casting it was pretty easy to tell that it was pretty rough around the edges inside there. I threw in an aggressive HSS steel grinding bit into the Dremel and turned the power to full tilt. Wow what a difference. I'll have much more air finding it's way into the combustion chamber now and it should flow a little easier with the rough bits removed. Take a look!

I used a very sharp pic to remove carbon from the tiny crevices and the threads in the spark plug threads. The result is the above portion of the picture. The below is after about 20 minutes with some precision grinding bits in the Dremel tool. I have at this point done a little lapping of the valves. Basically to lap in the valves you make sure you have cleaned up the Honda valve seats and apply a little compound in between the valve surfaces. Grab a valve suction stick and do the valve lapping dance. After a few minutes you'll have some nice surfaced valves that are ready to hold some serious compression.

While assembling any parts with a friction surface I always use synthetic grease. Nothing works better to make sure that there is no damage to anything while the engine is working to lubricate itself during that crucial first startup. Make sure a light film on the stems before you insert them into the Benly 150 valve guides. And here we are with all the new valves lapped in and the fun part is now over. Get pumped up for a very stressful session of installing the valve "keepers" or valve "keys" into the valve spring retaining cups.