View Single Post
Unread 09-03-2010, 03:01 PM

Time Stamp 9-3-10
I have to admit that I have had much fun with rumors that one cannot do something. In this case the rumor is: You cannot chrome plate a Buco Twinmaster Saddlebag Original Latch. The latch below proves differently

Here is a shot of the back.

For those of you who would like to know all of the metal hardware on a Buco Twinmaster Saddlebag, here is a pic showing all of the hardware newly chrome plated including my replacement light housings.

Back to the refinishing.
Priming. I prefer to use a two part PPG brand automotive primer. Basically the commercial primers have a heavier build and the hardner(the 2nd part) allows the primer to harden and dry fast. If you don't have a spray system, aerosol primers will work, but will take more applications and have longer drying time. Here is the very simple spray system I use.

The "system is just a $99.00 compressor, $15.00 touch up gun and a $7.00 in line air dryer. The spray gun will last for about 6 paint jobs. Also in the background is the PPG primer, reducer, hardner package.

I don't initially use primer to prepare for the final over coat of paint. I use primer to tell me where the flaws are. I always remember what an old bodyshop owner told me back in 1969. PAINT DON'T LIE! See this pic.

I will wet sand and prime 3 or 4 times. Any flaws after priming will be feathered out after applying Spot Putty

Another thing I need to point out is you should build a paint stand for your work. Here is a pic of an easy set up.

I paint my saddlebag projects upside down.

There is some mechanical work left to do. Here is a pic of a new fabricated inner bag mounting plate. The new mounting holes will be drilled using a mounting template. Then the mounting plate will be attached to the outside of the bag as a fixture to drill new holes in the fiberglass. Slightly larger holes will be drilled in the fiberglass to allow for bushings to be inlayed and glassed in.

Note. Always wear safety equipment when working with any paints and solvents. Always be aware of the fumes and the potential of fire. Always clean up and dispose of any contaminated paper/rags/solvent away from flame. Always wash before eating. Shower after every time you do any kind of sanding. Wash all clothes as soon as practical.

Last edited by Spokes; 11-17-2010 at 03:59 PM.