View Single Post
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

As you can see this thread is basically the start of my transformation to an RSVR from the RSV I had bought. All in all I have lost money by upgrading everything to RSVR status but the experience was worth it. There is a ton of info here on everything I did. I went above and beyond what was needed to upgrade to just a typical RSVR and I have basically made a dream bike I have always wanted. Mark that one off the list!

There aren't many other bikes I would want to ride besides the one I have put together. I have ridden with a lot of skilled motorcycle riders on the streets and no one really "wins" because they have a newer bike or a more powerful bike. All that winning crap is done on the track and that is the only place that my lack of horsepower might come into play. So it you are a street rider you can have your pick of all the bikes out there because your FUN and speed all comes down to your SKILL and nothing else. Trust me on this one. I have taken some bikes that are pretty sad in the horsepower department and embarrassed some fellow riders and their flashy new bikes. =]

Here is some thoughts I have posted on another forum that I think are pretty important when it comes to anyone deciding to buy an RSV that might want to upgrade to an RSVR in the future like I have. This person was/is contemplating buying a 2002 Mille RSV (slight rash on the right tank and small dent in rear swinger) with an Akrapovic exhuast and bike stands included for just under $5K:
I wouldn't have a problem picking that 02 RSV up for $4,500. It's got some NICE upgrades and the stands are worth something to you me too. I bought mine for 4,000 (flawless body but 19K miles and slightly bent from rim from a curb) and you rarely see them for less than 5K in that good of shape. In general the fuel tanks are pretty tough so you have nothing to worry about from just a little rash. Of course I would have to take a closer look to give you a more worthy opinion. But being how they are the most expensive piece of bodywork and the swing is dented a bit you could offer the guy 4 grand and walk away with a clear conscience that you offered him a fair price.

As far as the bike being road ready that looks like a really good one. I dented my swingarm pretty good and there is no way I'm going to spend a few hundred on a new one just to make it look better. I measured the arm in a few different spots to make sure the axle and wheel were located where they should be, not skewed or angled in any way. So I know the wheel is straight. I have put mine through some very fast use in the last year since the dent and it's rock solid. No one has ever seen the dent as the can covers it up and I have long forgot about it.

I would go get the bike if I were you. I am more interested in how the owner took care of it, the value of the aftermarket upgrades, if it's been stored inside and how many miles it has. $4,500 to have that bike in your garage is a very good buy. Now if you want to upgrade to RSVR status expect to pay at least $5,500 - $6,500. Don't even think about buying that bike and wanting to upgrade the suspension to Ohlins spec. It takes a lot of time and $$ searching for the parts and swapping them out. Trust me I did it, but I like tinkering and setting things up. Yeah I've seen RSV's for less than 5K but they have ALL been beaters and high mileage except for the one I found.

Happy hunting!