View Single Post
Unread 11-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Default Rear brake question

My rear brake is a mess. This is my first bike with drums so I'm not real familiar, other than some old beetle drums I rebuilt one time. These are mechanical and spread on a cam it looks like from parts drawings. I haven't taken it apart yet, I'm hoping it's something stupid I'm doing wrong. The PO broke the brake push rod at the thread. He put on another and it was bent in the thread.

With the pedal at rest the brakes are on. When you press the pedal the brakes come off. If you press far enough you come to a tight spot, something pops, and the pedal come way up high and the brakes seem to work correctly. But the pedal is way high up at rest. All this movement is what bends the rod and has bent the stop switch spring. I've tried moving the arm on the splines in different positions. I've tried putting the arm under load, then the pedal goes way up again. I'm starting to feel stupid. My next step is to take it apart and reverse engineer the thing to find the problem. Maybe something is installed backward internally, if that's even possible?