Thread: Seal Hunting
View Single Post
Unread 03-05-2012, 03:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake
Default Seal Hunting

Funny how these little restoration projects can go from hot to cold in an instant. I suppose that's part of the fun.

As part of my CA95 restoration I'm replacing the seals in the front and rear wheel hubs. I found replacement rear seals in an instant. The seals (30x47x8 and 22x35x8) were common sizes, available from many sources. I placed my order, received my parts, and they matched the old parts perfectly. In awe at my apparent restoration prowess, I turned my attention to the front seals. I now knew the routine ... get the inside/outside/thickness measurements, find the generic seal, then grab them for a few bucks.

The front seals, however, put my ego back in check. These beauties (50x64x8 and 34x48x6.5) seem to be anything but common, and that last one doesn't even match the specs in the parts manual. Hmm.

For the 50x64x8 seal, a few NOS items are available for around $15, plus shipping, which seems high for an old seal. I'll probably order one anyway.

The 34x48x6.5 seal, however, is nowhere to be found. Perhaps this was previously replaced, and is supposed to be 7 or 8 mm thick, not 6.5? I'll study the hub to determine if I can squeeze in a 34x48x7 or go with a 34x48x6.

Anybody replace their front wheel seals?