View Single Post
Unread 01-18-2014, 07:34 AM

Default 2014 Frame Off Restoration

Hi Folks,
I'm new here and this is my first post. My name is Doug and I just bought a Benly 150 a couple weeks ago to restore.
I've not owned a motorcycle before but always wanted a classic. So I picked up this project for $400. I intend to restore it, get my license and ride it as a sunny day cruiser.
Having restored a 68 Firebird from a shell, I realize what I'm getting into. This will cost much more than buying something already restored and I'll blow my budget by 300%.

It's a hobby and I'm just here to have fun.

I'll post progress pictures and surly have questions. I've already tapped into the wealth of information you all have posted previously and thank you for it.

The bike has sat in a barn in Nebraska since 1974. The wheels were sunken in the dirt as it hadn't been moved or started in 40 years. It has bumps and bruises and I'll be replacing some body parts with less dinged ones.
I've since located a lot of parts on ebay, still needing a right side carb cover. Engine has been hot tanked and bored .25 over. New rings and pistons are here but I'll be needing a valve job before reassembling head.
Next week it's off to the chrome shop to have a dozen parts re-plated. Once the rest of the body parts arrive, it'll be off to the media blaster.

Just wanted to say hi and thank you for all the great information posted on this forum.
Doug

Brought her home on Dec 30th.

All the wiring has been chewed by mice. Will need a new harness along with other electrical parts. Might need a new stator since the rodents chewed down so far on the wiring.

After getting the engine back from having it cleaned, it appears this could use a valve job. New valves ordered and back to the shop next week.

We'll see how bad the rust is once it comes back from the media blaster.