View Single Post
Unread 10-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Here is the finished product... now follow along and improve your lifestyle!

How many times do you curse your bike out when you have to remove the seat! If you have the stock Allen bolts under your seat then you are suffering. When I needed to get under my seat to the battery I was usually in a hurry and I just got the job of removing the whacky allan bolts done as fast as I could. I always knew there had to be a better way. I mean, come on, what a crap design!! You have to pull the seat pad back really hard just to get the allan wrench in the head of the bolt and you had to keep holding it with all your might while you unscrewed it. Wow how fun.

Well I was fed up with the process and I couldn't take it anymore. I know that AF1 sells these by the pair for like $14? Something like that. Well I would have just bought them probably but I wanted to fix the problem NOW. I also wanted them for the fuel tank too but then that's like $$$ for just a few bolts. Plus I wanted more slack up front on the fuel tank bolts so that it wasn't holding it too tight as to flex the plastic tank and cause it to crack (long story).

SO I drove right to OSH hardware and gathered my ingredients for my own quick release system!! Have a look at the bag of goodies I bought for like $8 bucks or some low amount that I can't remember cause it was so cheap.

If you have eagle eyes you will notice the 1/16 black vinyl covered cable! When I have some free time I'll be using this to make some cable retainers so that when you take the clips out from under the seat the wire will let the pins dangle free to the side so they won't get lost. Pretty trick eh? I would surely employ this mod if I had to pay 60 cents A WHACK for the pins (damn you OSH!) but I went to the hobby store and got them 6 for $1, SCORE!!

And a closeup in case you want to run to OSH and pick up your own hardware like me. B)