View Single Post
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Default RH cylinder tachometer cover leak

So just getting peoples' opinions on this. My '63 Honda CA95 has the tachometer-type RH cylinder cover. Nothing in there, just the cover and the screws holding it in.

For some unknown reason, when I reassembled the engine, it had a constant leak from the bottom-most corner that would run along the cooling fin to right above the exhaust header. Put new gaskets in, tried putting thin layers of liquid gasket on the fiber gasket, 1 side then liquid gasket on both sides, and still leaked.

Then I took a razor and scraped any and all gunk off the mating surfaces, leaked still, then dremel-sanded both surfaces in frustration. Anyways, now I have it fairly well stopped with red RTV silicone caked in the edges. Not pretty, and I'm thinking if I ever sold this bike, what the world would I say to the next owner about it?

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue? Could the tachometer cylinder side cover just be so worn down it wouldn't seal no matter what? Occasionally I still get a small oily residue on the cooling fin above the exhaust header from a leak at the tachometer but it's rare. Is it ok to purchase just a regular RH side cylinder cover without the tachometer piece there and see if that stops the leak?

This is one of the few riddles left to me about this bike, other than that, running fairly well.