View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Update! Still no Yamaha relay swap... been lazy I guess.

Just a brief description of my Aprilia's starting behavior:
  • My bike will crank but not start when I don't keep the battery on the Tender. I usually throw it on my bike the night before I know I'm going riding.
  • Today I was called for a quick ride and it started right up cold. THen I got to the gas station with my friends and it cranked and didn't start. I just let it sit for almost a minutes and it started right up thank goodness.
  • This has happened before when I stop and start the bike but it doesn't get charged from riding it long enough before I shut it off. I just have to let it sit for 4-5 minutes and then it will fire but not very convincingly.. just juice to fire off. It's a pain in the butt.
  • If I keep it topped with the Battery Tender then I never have this problem.
I'm going to hard wire the regulator tonight I think. We'll see what happens when I take the brown connector out of the problem. Battery Tender is good practice but it would be nice just to have it working perfectly all the time and not have to be so dependent on the Tender.

The cranking but no start has happened to me a dozen times and I have a brand new battery. It did it before and after I had the new battery. Currenty the Tender keeps it topped up and it will fire every time when I disconnect for a ride. I think the systems just drain enough to allow the bike to turn over but it just won't fire the plugs.. remember it has FOUR spark plugs to light.