View Single Post
Unread 12-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

About using JB Weld to repair plastic fuel tanks:

Well it's worth a try and it's been holding for a few months on my tank and I've slapped it around on some wheelies and hard riding. It's right on the front mounts so I'm sure it's been flexed a little and still ok. It's all about the prep work on the area applied. Remove any plastic that isn't perfectly white, clean it with alcohol, rough it up some so there are plenty of tiny ridges for the JB weld compound to adhere to and it will provide maximum holding power. Make sure and get a good mix. You want it to be grey not light grey.

As you can see in this thread I tried a few different other sealers, adhesives and plastic glue. I thought I had it with some Sonic Bond (which is insanely awesome plastic glue) but it broke down under the gasoline in about a half hour of riding. I then resorted to the JB Weld and I've been impressed. It also claims that it's resistant to fuel on the packaging so that's comforting. I wanted to install some Stompgrip pads on the sides of the tanks but that would just put more pressure on the fuel tank and the repair. Just check that your rubber mounts are adequately supporting the fuel tank so that there is no unnecessary stress being placed on the mounts.