View Single Post
Unread 10-13-2013, 09:14 AM

Actually it seems like you are treating unrelated things in both cases. Changing mixture to solve a potential electrical problem doesn't add up to me. I can't address the Kawasaki, I don't know those bikes.
However on the Honda the charging system always seems to be a little suspect and frankly I'd never start one with headlight on if possible. The headlight draws a fair amount of current and along with the electric start you can easily be headed for disappointment.
Cold starting and raising the throttle slide to get started under normal conditions would indicate a carb problem.
All of that being said we must have the 3 basics to run, Air, fuel and spark, all in the right ratios and happening at the right time.
WRT to spark we 'd like to see a strong bright blue(blue/white-ish) at the plug. A yellow to orange-ish spark is usually consider weak. Any of the components in the ignition system (except the key itself) could be a contributor (battery,coil, plugs, plug wires, spark plug caps or ends,points and condenser). I'd suggest an easy test- unplug both plug wires and then with a new properly gapped plug, connected to the plug end, lay or hold the threaded portion of the plug against the cylinder head and crank the engine. Check of the color of spark (a darker environment is good, not noon with the sun over your shoulder). IF you get the yellowish spark, remove the points cover and see if the is any sparking at the points that is also yellowish and possibly even 'spraying' about, you very likely have a bad condenser. There are further checks on other components but this is the best I am aware of for the condenser. So...could a weak spark contribute to poor starting, sure, but there are too many variables to really tell across the internet.
You did not indicate your use of the choke when cold starting but things sound like they might be rich.
I'm sure there will be others jumping in as well...
L