View Single Post
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:48 AM

I next took to disassembling the head. The cam looks wonderful and the lobes and bearings will get a quick polish just to brighten them up. I removed all pieces and blasted the valves, compression chamber, exhaust ports and the rest of the head and labeled everything as to location. I'll get some lapping compound and "lightly" lap the valves.
Ultimately there could have been a burnt valve causing the initial problem but the chances of that were lower from the start so I was pleased at the condition of the valve set. I'll post pics of the reassembly once the rings and gaskets get here.
Just so you know a ring set runs about $110 from WHH but you can find cheaper on Ebay.
In this case the job can be shaved by using in spec "serviceable" parts.The job went from nearly $500 to less than $100 and (most importantly) I feel will meet my expectations for a proper repair and give good service to the customer. Now what it does mean is that I have now shifted the overbore job to a later project but can now spread those expenses out over a longer period of time so I am happy with that as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1934.jpg (241.3 KB, 2 views)