View Single Post
Unread 10-23-2011, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Great project! I have some cleaning suggestions from several of the same rebuilds. I have 3 items that helped make my restorations easy.

Ultrasonic cleaner. About $150 for a 2 or 3 liter unit with a heater. This the latest thing I found to clean nuts, bolts, carbs, wiring harness...even the speedometer. Just a 1/2 pint of alkaline cleaner and let the machine do the rest. It does a terrific job without solvents.

Vibratory cleaner. About $75.00 for a small unit. This will remove rust from small parts and nuts & bolts using the green diamond shaped abrasive.

Buffing motor & wheel. About $100.00 This is my secret weapon. Using green & gold stick rouge you cam make steel and aluminum shine like chrome. A little clear coat protects your work.

Good luck with your build. Lots of great advice here.
Thanks for the comments. I have a 2-liter ultrasonic cleaner that I'll use on the carb and most small parts. It's a great tool. My buffing wheels/wire wheels get a ton of use, especially for rusty parts. I'll polish much of the aluminum using the wheels. I have 4 different grits I typically use on a restoration. Some parts, like the gas tank side panels, are just too pitted to clean up and will be send out for plating.

Given the cool Northern Michigan temps, i won't be painting the parts until the Spring, so I have plenty of time to prepare the rest of the parts.

Last edited by ByTheLake; 10-24-2011 at 11:17 AM.