View Single Post
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
As the years pass tanks are becoming more and more rare just like everything else on these bikes. I wonder what it will be like in 10 years in regards to trying to find good parts. I have another tank in great shape that I don't even know what model it was from. I'll have to post the picture up and take suggestions.
I try to buy two or three of every important part I replace, so that in ten years maybe I won't have to worry about that! And I'd like to see that tank. I'll post pics of mine when she shows up.

Quote:
Sprockets - I've always run the sprockets that came on whatever Honda I've come into possession of. I've thought about changing sprockets on my blue 150 but just never got motivated enough to order some. We should start a sprocket and chain thread discussing the subject of size and chain size etc. It basically comes down to if you have hills around your area that you ride or not. I'm a fan of being able to cruise 55mph but shoot with that kind of gearing you can't scoot up any decent size hills without slowing way down.
I live in San Francisco (NOT FLAT), and plan on putting around town/back n forth to work type riding, so I will knock a tooth or two off the engine for some extra pull.

Quote:
I'm not sure on what wiring harness works on what bike or which are similar. Is yours in bad shape?
My harness is just kinda dry and crusty. I found a brand new one from a shop closing up somewhere in the midwest for 60 bucks...If it will work, I'll save it for when I take her apart and completely repaint/rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
The rear sprockets on the CA95 & 160 are mostly 36 tooth. You probably have a 16 tooth on the engine. You can go down to a 12 tooth on the engine to gain more low end torque, but you sacrifice high end speed. You can go with a bigger rear sprocket if you don't use the chain guard. I replace chain and sprockets for my restore projects as a matter of habit and use standard sizes.
Thanks for the specs there Spokes! I'm not concerned with top speed at all with the brakes on these bikes I will drop a tooth or two on the front, and stay stock on the back. It's best not to divert too far from stock.

Also, I will be replacing the brake shoes front and back when I change the sprocket. I'd also like to change all the bearings, and possibly the dampers in the rear hub. Oh, tires are on the list too.

Do you have any suggestions, comments, or sources for parts I should attain before doing this. I only want to take the wheels off once as I hear it can be a pain. The bike has five thousand miles, and I don't know it's history, so I'm assuming nothing's ever been replaced. I really need a source for bearings. I found a set online, but I'm not sure about the quality. Are there really five bearings for the wheels??

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Greggo325; 12-19-2010 at 08:42 PM.