View Single Post
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:58 AM

Well we are down to the real basics.

Before you go on. Make ABSOLUTLY SURE your points are oil free! Oil on the points will prevent starting for sure! If the spark advance cam was dirty I would bet the rent the points are contaminated. Clean the points. Take a piece of thick white or light colored paper (matchbook thickness) and run it through the point contacts. If dirty repeat the steps until clean. Attempt to start the bike.

Plugs. If they are old they may need to be replaced. When old plugs get saturated with fuel they can fail or produce a weak spark. I have seen this first hand.

Condenser. It would be worth a shot to replace it.

Coil. The OHM reading is "lowish" The readings on mine were 2.5-3.0 Look for any signs of wax drips on the casing. Wax drips indicate that the coil was once overheated (leave the ignition on without the engine running and by chance the points were in the closed position) If there are wax drips..replace the coil.

But before you do anything, make sure the points are clean and the plugs are good.

Generally the starter will slow down quickly as your battery weakens. The new batteries sold for these bikes only last a short while (1 maybe 2 years).

The cheap batteries off of ebay are low cold crank amp types. I don't think the battery is a fault here. The CA160 I recently sold started in a nanosecond. So once you get the no start issue solved then you woun't tax the battery so much.