View Single Post
Unread 04-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Ok back to work. I've used this stuff over the last couple of days and I have to say that I'm really impressed. I literally have welded plastic parts together that were completely broken apart and they are holding very very well. Here is a preview of one piece that welded up very nicely:
Before:

After:

Most of the action is happening on the underside in order to strengthen it. The goal on this fixing up is to do it for as cheap as possible in order to get back on the road. These pieces are rather expensive so we'll just weld them up and throw some matching paint. I trimmed the jagged edges so it would look good from the side. Not many people compare one side of the bike to the other so there it is.

The weld isn't exactly the best thing to use for surfacing the scratches. It's sole purpose is to join the plastic. I'll be using something else for the light scratches. The weld is very strong and is hard to sand without damaging the surrounding plastic. I actually used a file to remove some of the weld down to the surface. Then I followed with a light sand to smooth it out. Those cracks are surely not cracks anymore.