View Single Post
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:53 PM

Default Building a Honda CA95 from Scratch-Where's The Bike Now?

Hello All:
I have always loved the Honda CA95 Dream. My restored Dream is posted in this forum and since sold. I want to restore another one. But anybody can find another bike and just restore it. This time I am going to build a CA95 Dream from scratch. That means finding every part, getting it in the shop, restoring it to like new (or custom tricked out) and ending up with another Ca95 mild custom...but cooler that the first. As I find all of the parts and clean them up, I will post my progress and how I made parts like new or tricked.

Today (1-8-09) I got in a 1965 CA95 engine. So here we go.

I found a 1965 CA95 engine in PA, on ebay listed as a "pick-up" only, well I live 800+ miles away. So I set up a Fedex account, contacted the seller and built a reinforced box, sent it to him. When it was packed, and I was contacted, I sent a call tag and had it "picked up". Shipping ran about $120.00 but I got a nice engine for $25.00.

This motor was dirty, oily and still had the starter solinoid hooked up, one connection was rust welded.

Here are some shots of my first steps.
(picture here)

You can see it's pretty bad.
(picture here)

Secret 1.) I use Phosphoric solution to dissolve the rust-(Milkstone Remover)
(picture here)

After soaking for a few hours(the more time the better) the rust was diminished enough to free the cable
(picture here)

It is not widely known that you can disassemble the solinoid, clean and lube it. If you want to test it just touch the black wire to ground. the yellow wire to positive on the battery...if it "clicks"...it's good.

Secret 2.) I use PB Blaster to loosen rusted fasteners as well. But it makes a great spot degreaser
(picture here)

As more parts come in and inventory builds I will post my progress. When its time to paint the bike, I will take a poll. I have already done black.

Time frame to complete the bike 9-12 months, maybe sooner.

Happy Trails

Last edited by Smithers; 11-09-2010 at 09:01 PM.