View Single Post
Unread 10-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Default Okay back to the original question of this thread....

is it possible to swap out a 150 motor on a CA95 and pop in a 160 engine from a CA160. Possible, well yeah, of course this means making many alterations like different exhaust, and different exhaust joints to mount the pipes to the head. Plus the carburetor does not swap between the two without a manifold ( which is extremely difficult to find) So I opted to search for a 160 carb, which is equally difficult to find. I know you can use different carbs and modify them to work, but remember, this was suppose to be an "easy" swap until I rebuilt the 150 to put back into the bike (trying to keep it original). Oh and I also needed a different clutch cable, because the 150 cable would not work. So, after buying all that, getting the 160 ready to swap, we came upon another hang up. The mounting bracket underneath the gas tank, does not accommodate the width of the 160 motor mounting bracket. From what I could tell, it was a little over 1/2 inch too small. Yeah we probably could have modified this bracket, but, remember, I wanted to keep the 150 engine to stay true to the history of the bike. So, we pulled the plug. We decided, that we did not want to bend the bracket or fabricate anything else to try to make this engine fit. If we were going to keep this engine in the bike, maybe we would have decided differently. I don't know what other issues we might have come across if we had decided to proceed, but I think that rebuilding the 150 engine will have to be easier than this headache. So now the 150 is pulled apart and we are inspecting it. Who knows what we will fine. Maybe in the end, that 160 WILL fit. LOL. Heck whats a little more work, and bit more money???? So, now the answer to that question will it fit? Guess someone else will have to be the one to figure that out. <sigh>. Who knows maybe I will come across a 160 honda needing a motor.... because it's an awfully large paper weight.