View Single Post
Unread 05-13-2015, 09:15 PM

Today we bought a 6V AGM battery (for a CB92) and did some testing.

We tested the voltage at the battery at idle with all lighting turned on - 6.3-6.4V
Tested voltage at battery, all lighting on, while holding the bike at maybe 5-6k rpm - 7-7.2V max.
Tested voltage with headlight unplugged (simulating when my headlight went out and the battery popped) at idle - 6.8V
Tested voltage with headlight out, holding at 5-6k rpm - 8+V

The Shorai states that voltage over 7.6V is damaging to the battery. With a headlight out the voltage in the battery is allowed to build up too much for the Lithium battery to handle, which is likely why it popped. I was making high rev pulls and decelerations to brake in the new engine, so it was probably really taking a beating.

We found a Bosch 6V regulator for a Harley Sprint / BMW R27 that we're going to incorporate into the system as a fail safe if any lighting goes out again. It was a real bitch trying to find a 6V negative earth regulator. Podtronics USED to make one but I guess he's in his old age now and not making them much anymore. Most brit bikes are positive earth we found out.

Also, after talking to Ricks Motorsport Electrics they were convinced the CA95 is single phase. Their reasoning was single phase usually has a single wire going to the rectifier, or sometimes is split into two. 3 phase typically has 3 wires going to the rectifier, all the same color. The CA95 has only 2 wires going to the rectifier.

Just all FYI for anyone else with this issue in the future.