View Single Post
Unread 02-25-2014, 12:54 PM

Default Clutch Slippage and Motor Oil

Hi Everyone:
I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I couldn't find it under a search which, of course does not mean it isn't there.
When I was a kid, I read a book I found in my Grandfathers basement. It was titled The Hidden Persuaders. This book convinced me that all brands of any particular product are pretty much the same in quality. The price difference paid between off-brands and brand name items only fulfilled a perceived need in the consumers mind and created profit for the seller.
Not wanting to be one of those suckers, I've always bought the cheapest motor oil I could find and I don't change it until it's contaminated. I've never had a problem. I've run my cars up to a couple hundred thousand miles with no mechanical failure.
Last Fall I bought a pretty expensive (at least, to me) Honda motorcycle and my friends at our local Honda shop told me under no circumstances, to put regular motor oil in my motorcycles. They recommended Pro Honda GN 4 motorcycle oil. The two reasons they cited are:
1. Regular motor oil is designed for automobiles which are equipped with sensors and catalytic converters. In order to prevent contamination of these devices automotive motor oil no longer contains zinc. Motorcycle engines need the lubricating and cushioning qualities of the zinc additive found in motorcycle engine oil.
2. Regular motor oil is designed for dry clutch systems and motorcycles need oil designed to lubricate the engine while not being so slick as to cause the clutch to slip.
This second point really resonated for me. Even though I've had my CA95 clutch apart several times, cleaning, sanding the plates, and replacing the springs I still get slippage in the higher gears. This Spring I am going to flush the motor out real well and replace the oil with Honda GN4 to see if there is any difference, although, I suppose it could be argued that I've permanently contaminated the plates by using regular oil.
Anybody have any thoughts about this?
Steve