View Single Post
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM

FYI, If I have not already said so I am a newbie to engine work. Did basic stuff years ago on my VW Bettle so if my questions seem basic it's because I'm not experienced in working on engines.

I switched out the points and condenser with a set I had from a parts bike and now I have a good spark to the plugs, much better than before. Even got it running but I think I need to work on the timing now. One thing I noticed is some sparking at the points themselves. This does not seem right, what would be the cause?

Now I need to set the points and timing. According to the manual "I set the points at the peak of the cam to a .012 to .016 gap." The peak of the cam is not an obvious point so how does one determine the peak?

As for adjusting timing the manual says "rotate crank shaft until the red mark F on the rotor aligns with the mark on the generator stator. Lossen 2 screws, rotate the plate assembly to a point where the points just close, tighten screws". I can clearly see the "F" mark and the other mark to line it all up. That's all there is to it?

I also see a "T" to the right of the "F". What is the "T" for. I also see a "5" and a "0" rotor. Are those used in setting timing?

The manual also says to use a tester light to determine the exact instant the points close. I remember using a simple bulb in a socket to set the timing on my VW. Can I make one of these with a 6 volt bulb in a socket? And where do I connect them? One to ground and the other somewhere on the points I would assume.

Thanks for anyones help in this.

Last edited by edcphoto; 12-02-2012 at 08:25 PM.