FourWheelForum

FourWheelForum (http://www.fourwheelforum.com/index.php)
-   The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration (http://www.fourwheelforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Honda benly ca 95 (http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=1605)

ben1942 01-28-2012 07:25 AM

Honda benly ca 95

I'm going nuts trying to repair the petcock on my 1965 benly. I bought a repair kit off ebay and it dosen't work, pours gas like a waterfall seems like the washers are too thick. Also what size are the three screws that hold the petcock on? I know that they are JIS but what siza are they? Thanks in advance for any help, Ben

ByTheLake 01-28-2012 09:13 AM

Ben,

You probably already have this information, and I'm not sure if it's what you need, but here's what the parts manual has for the CA95 late edition:

-Kevin

http://www.forths.com/blog/wp-conten...ock_screws.jpg

ben1942 01-28-2012 11:15 AM

Thank You very much. This was driving me nuts. Ben

Spokes 01-28-2012 09:40 PM

You can chase the petcock mounting threads with a metric tap the same size (5mm) with a standard metric thread pitch then use new screws. Make sure that the seal surface on the tank is smooth. Damage left behind left by corrosion will not seal. Another leak maker is a weak cross spring. It's the spring that keeps the selector gasket "sandwich" tight. Also make sure that the aluminum housing is not too damaged. These old petcock are tricky to say the least.

ben1942 01-29-2012 08:58 AM

Spokes, Thanks for the info I appreciate it very much. They sure are tricky, I have three of them none which work decently. This one seems to leak from the selector arm but I'm not sure. Could it be leaking past the screws, the little red washers under the screws look dry and brittle.

Spokes 01-29-2012 10:49 AM

Yes, dry washers won't seal to well. You might find fuel resistant washers at your local lawnmower shop. If not, I have made the small gaskets out of fuel resistant automotive gasket material. I use a leather punch to make the small gaskets.

The kits that I have used have a rubber washer. So far the washer has the wrong size holes and do not fit well in the petcock body. Use a small Tool & Die round file and open up the holes. I actually prefer the cork washer. Also make sure the selector arm is absolutly smooth and ding free.

ben1942 01-29-2012 06:17 PM

Thanks Spokes!

My selector arm needs to be smoothed out. I see some rust on it and thanks for the tip on the washers. I went out and bought a metric tap set so I can chase the threads to regular metric. I'll be off to the mower shop in the morning.

rhodemon 01-30-2012 04:22 AM

And don't forget to soak the cork washer in STP over night!

Smithers 01-30-2012 06:31 PM

In case you haven't searched around for info on this forum for tips and tricks check out these threads. :)

ben1942 02-02-2012 01:47 PM

SPOKES, Thank you! followed your advice and the petcock works perfectly. I used a Dremel with a brass wheel to clean it up. Ben

ben1942 02-02-2012 01:49 PM

Also to Smithers a big thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Ben

comp_wiz101 02-03-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithers (Post 8306)
In case you haven't searched around for info on this forum for tips and tricks check out these threads. :)

Cool, a thread I started is now reference material :)

ByTheLake 02-04-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comp_wiz101 (Post 8335)
Cool, a thread I started is now reference material :)

You are but a tiny footnote in the bibliography of life. :)

Smithers 02-05-2012 09:30 AM

Yeah this pesky little fuel switch is crucial to riding these bikes and sleeping soundly at night! :D We have all lost sleep over these silly things. The gaskets in them need to be soaked in STP or oil before you assemble them so they will be expanded and ready to seal the fuel. I have put together a few of them only to have them leak a drop every 5 minutes which is enough to evaporate without pooling up. I leave them on and the next day the leak will have stopped.

Patience my friends!!