PDA

View Full Version : 1965 C95 HOnda Benly "Oil Filter"

Poindexter
05-06-2010, 02:32 PM
:confused::confused:

Where can I find an oil filter for my 1965 C95 Honda Dream? I recently bought this bike and will be replacing some gaskets this weekend and I cant find anyone or anywhere that has an oil filter?! any help will be appreciated!!

Spokes
05-06-2010, 05:58 PM
The "filter" is #18. The diagram shows where it is.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=5&pictureid=179

aaron7
05-07-2010, 03:37 AM
Are there any gaskets to be aware of if I check this filter?

Spokes
05-07-2010, 05:41 AM
There are no "gaskets" but two large thin "O' rings. Usually the old ones can be reused. Prying off the cover plate can mare up the finish on the case so take time to remove it. Once you remove the oil filter cover plate you will see lots of hard sludge. The filter pulls out for cleaning (usually hard to do after years in the engine) or you can clean it in place. All of your oil goes through this "spinner" then recirculates. It is important to clean it once in a while.

aaron7
05-07-2010, 05:42 AM
Mine has probably never been done! Is it pretty self-explanitory once I'm in there?

Poindexter
05-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks Spokes! I found its location but cant seem to find one to replace it with when I change the oil? Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Is this not a replaceable filter?

Spokes
05-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Yes. It is not an item to be replaced(unless damaged). Just remove the 3 screws on the cover plate and clean out the inside. You can remove it to clean or leave it in place. The manual suggests cleaning every two months. This part and the magnet in the oil drain plug are the only fixtures that "clean" the oil.

I change the oil frequently in my restores are done, so the "oil filter" stays clean all of the time. Having said that, if you find slivers of metal on the oil drain magnet or in the filter it may indicate trouble ahead.

Poindexter
05-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks Spokes!! You are the man!! I will let ya know what I find once I crack it open. Could be interesting. :) Thanks again!

aaron7
05-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Yeah, I'll be sure to take some pics!

Might be a dumb question but do you need to drain the oil to remove this cover or is the oil level lower than that?

Spokes
05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
No such thing as dumb questions...

You don't need to drain the oil to clean the "filter". However, there will be some oil mess when you open it up. Keep paper towels or rags at hand.

Poindexter
05-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Spokes. What do yOu suggest using when I clean the oil filter? I am hesitant to use anything that could damage any .. If any seals ate still in place. Brake cleaner? Carb cleaner? Gasoline?

Poindexter
05-08-2010, 04:01 AM
How much oil does the CA95 require? And what flavor do you suggest? I see stamped on the motor it says SAE 30 in the climate I am in but wondered if you had any suggestions. Thanks a TON for all of you wisdom!

rhodemon
05-08-2010, 05:05 AM
I've been using 10-30w synthetic oil for years with great results. You'll find it makes shifting gears much smoother, but it may also leak a bit more if your seals and gaskets aren't sealing well.

Also, be careful when removing the little phillips head screws fom the oil filter, as they are very easy to strip. Use an exact fitting phillips driver and smack it with a hammer before attempting to loosen. Maybe even try to tightening it a bit to break it loose first. Spend 10 bucks and buy one of those multiple bit driver sets - you will use the others for different screws on the bike. A manual impact driver and one of those cheap butane torches is very handy to have as well in order to shock those stubborn fasteners into submission

Poindexter
05-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Great information!! I am digging into it now. Just drained the existing oil and it was thick like syrup! Not a good sign! But atleast there was some in the motor I guess. I will keep ya posted with the progress as I am sure I will need some more advice. Thanks Spokes!

Poindexter
05-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Oh and thanks Rhodemon! I was just checking to see if anything else has came thru and saw you had posted the last reply. :-)2

Spokes
05-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Here are a couple of pics of the filter out of the bike
Front view and open
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=5&pictureid=180
Back view
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=5&pictureid=181

Removing the screws with the right tools as suggested is correct. You can run into trouble fast if you bugger up the heads.

Scrape and clean the "filter" with WD-40 or the like.

I get radical about the oil suggestions.

I won't use anything but Shell Rotilla Straight 30 WT DIESEL OIL. Why?

Diesel oil still has the Zinc anti-scrub additive in it. Modern oils have very little or none of this additive. Your old engine has a direct contact cam to valve end "valve train". The additive above keeps that old system working as designed.

Another reason for not running multi-weight oil in old air cooled engine is that the heat produced will break down the wax additive that enables the "multi-weight feature" in such oils.

I came to terms with the above subject by siezing my newly rebuilt CA95 engine using high end synthetic multi-weight motorcycle oil at $10.00 a quart.

I got a huge lecture from my friend with a doctoral degree in petroleum science. I got chewed by a long time friend who rides older bikes and then I did some research of my own. If you want to verify my words google" API Ratings" and read for yourself.

Get the Diesel oil at your local Tractor Supply Store. $12.00 per Gallon.

Your bike takes 750 ml of oil when the oil filter is not drained. It takes a full 900 ml when fully serviced. A quart of oil is 846ml. When you check the oil, don't screw in the dip stick to measure. Always check the oil after a short ride.

I use a nice glass measuring cup for this task.

Poindexter
05-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Once again thanks Spokes! What to you sugest using to clean this filter?

Poindexter
05-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Oh!! I see your suggestion! WD40. I guess I got a little excited and over looked that. :-) do you suggest anytype of oil additive to help in the process?

Spokes
05-08-2010, 07:10 AM
I don't use any oil additives. You have a wet clutch. If you add a friction reducer additive you might make the clutch slip. I change my oil frequently about every 200-300 miles. That change interval is my thing and I'm sure you can go longer.

Sometimes I catch flack about my oil suggestions. These old bikes are a hobby for me. I don't ride the highway or take trips. Just a ride sometimes within the community and maybe 20-30 miles at a time.

So my oil suggestions are for the old Honda air cooled engines, pre-1970.

Poindexter
05-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Gotcha. I will not be riding mine much more than that. I appreciate all you help and direction. I can't fathom riding this bike a long distance ESP since 50 is about the top speed comfortably. Sunny day rides and Sundays. :-)

Poindexter
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Hey guys. I have recently completely pulled the motor apart and replaced all the seals and was wondering if the air filter is a element that needs or was designed to be replaced? I dont think it looks too bad it is hard to see through and I figured you guys would know if I should buy the one I found on ebay? Replaceable yes? Do I need to? was it designed to be replaced? Thanks guys!