PDA

View Full Version : picked up my baby ummm problems?

wnbasac
04-21-2010, 03:29 PM
well i picked up my 1965 benly and it fit right in the back of my SUV
>
well it happened just like you said it would. when i arrived to pick the bike up he loosened the handlebars and turned them down and yes CUTTING the wires in half!#@%* I told him what he did and he knocked 150 bucks of the bike but it seems after taking the bars off after i got home that it was a blessing because the wires were all jacked up, they weren't even connected to the switches because both switches were broken!
>
i have the following NOS parts - left side switch, mirrors, tank emblems headlight rim, grips, and cables and still looking for more
>
i'm currently looking for a switch for the right side ( starter )
and a nice front fender
>
i'll post pic's as soon as it stops raining, thanks for all your help!!!
>
Have a Hondafull Day

Spokes
04-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I have rebuilt many switches. As long as the inside parts are not broken they can be redone. Is the fender gone or just smashed up? Smashed up can be saved as well.

I would take on the repairs if your interested

wnbasac
04-21-2010, 05:28 PM
thanks for your help i'll take pic's of the switches tomorrow and send them to you to check out
>
as for the fender - its in need of repair the common back area and a split on the front, i was looking for a replacement till i made one right again i'll send some pics
>
and Thanks again,lou
>
have a Hondafull Day

wnbasac
05-06-2010, 09:43 PM
OK my baby wouldn't start?
>
so i checked the plus and the wires were jack ( broken in half and joined back together). I pulled the coil out and you were right Spokes I pulled the wires right out of the coil i didn't even have to remove the the plastic resin no resistance. I'll replace the wires with 7mm spark plug wire aka; snowmobile. I'll also pick 2 NKG caps with rubber seals from honda mini trail.
>
2nd problem was when i pushed the starter button all i got was a click? I pulled the stater switch out and i'm not sure how to test it maybe i should just replace it???
>
3rd problem i have is with the petcock my lever doesn't work so someone put a brass shutoff valve in the rubber line. I bought a petcock but it looks different than the one i have now so i'm not sure if i should use it? can the experts determine its true DNA ( year,model)
>
tks for your help and have a Hondafull Day

*SP wires.jpg

aaron7
05-07-2010, 03:39 AM
That looks like the correct petcock to me. Post a pic of the one you have on the bike; might be the wrong one.

Spokes
05-07-2010, 05:24 AM
The petcock in the pic is the exact for the year Honda you have. The one you purchased off of ebay, is exact. It was a petcock that was traded for with another member of this forum. The person who sold it to you needed the cash to complete his CA160 as funds are tight.

You bought the rebuilt polished petcock from me.

Hold on or sell the old one. Sometimes the corrosion is so bad they are locked up. It is being sent today.

Spokes
05-07-2010, 05:29 AM
The "click" means the starter solenoid is working. Clean the starter cable contacts and make sure the battery is fully charged.

Then check under the bike. The starter wire runs under the engine. Once in a while they get smashed or broken. I have an extra if you need it.

wnbasac
05-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks everyone for your help!
>
i'll trace the wire to the starter if its like the spark plug wires then i could see why it doesn't spin
>
as for the battery i bought a Battery Tender to keep the charge up to snuff
>
i also bought the wiring for my coil and will order the caps also
>
heres a pic of the petcock thats on my bike, the fuel outlet is on the right side
>
yes i thought that petcock might be the one you posted pic's of it looks Marvelous Spokes thanks
>
does anyone have the paint code for these babies ( scarlet red ) ?
>
thanks and have a HondaFull Day

wnbasac
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
well i tried to jump the starter solenoid NO go
>
i then ran a wire from the battery hot to the starter and NOTHIN, it was hot i checked it on the starter case and it sparked
>
so i need to pull the starter off and check the brushes or just take it in to be rebuilt?
>
did anyone ID the petcock pic i posted? the fuel outlet is on the left side of the petcock?
>
i just received my new spark plug wires 7mm and caps as per Mr. Spokes instructions for rebuilding the coil, one step closer!
>
i'l check the point gap and see if this baby will start?
>
thanks for your help and have a HondaFull Day

Spokes
05-10-2010, 04:24 PM
The petcock in the pic is the correct one for the bike. Your replacement should be there this week. Just install the new one and your good to go.

The starter has an inspection plate. Once removed, you can see the brushes.
Chances are that the grease in the starter bushings has gone hard. If you have a place to take it to, do it. You can take the starter apart easily and lube it again and put it back together again. It is a basic starter motor. The worst case would be bad field coils.

You can always kick start the bike to get it running first.

wnbasac
05-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Spokes my petcock just got delivered and it looks Marvelous
>
i got a spare engine when i bought the bike and it has the starter on it so i'll take it out of that one to learn how to do it without messing things up and check it out and replace it with the one thats in the bike now
>
i'm letting the silicone dry on the coil now and its a go i hope
>
thanks again for your help

Spokes
05-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Cool. Post your old one on ebay. Someone will pick it up. Maybe I will bid on it..you never know.

The starter is easy. Just remember to unscrew the field coil contact at the brushes when you take it apart. Clean everything with electrical contact cleaner and relube the bushings with synthetic grease and reassemble.

There is no need to remove the field coils. Just spray clean them in place. You can bench test the starter motor. If it works, just swap it out.

wnbasac
05-14-2010, 11:50 AM
ok i threw in the towel and i'm taking the bike to Charlies Place ( a haven for old hondas )
>
i just don't have the tools and technical abilities to get it right but i know i'll learn
>
i took the starter off my extra motor and way to much stuff to remove for me, i don't want to mess up my bike just yet
>
replaced the spark wires /boots on the coil
>
tried setting the point gap
>
replaced the petcock with the Spokes special, oh the other one i had is off a Ca77 the fuel outlet is on the left side of the petcock because it mounts on the right side of the tank not the left side as on the CA95
>
he'll also fix my starter
>
oops i almost forgot, i bought a set of Buco Saddlebags and i'm looking for the ( bullet ) light set up with housing / lens and all but i can't seem to find them?? anyone no a source?
>
thanks for all your HELP and have a HondaFull Day

Spokes
05-14-2010, 01:38 PM
I have built and restored many Buco Twinmaster Saddlebag lights. But at this time I can only get painted bodies. You can still get the original Buco bag lens at www.stratolite.com You can also salvage the original bodies if you have them. Check the Buco thread in this forum.

I have also restored the bags and I build new original copy but improved hangers out of stainless steel.

I have just finished a method of wiring the bags without drilling holes. I will post a pic when I send them out to one my contacts.

wnbasac
05-14-2010, 05:48 PM
i don't have any lights or setup for them
>
i did get my hands on some brackets minus a few pieces
>
the black arrows is what i have and the red arrows is what i'm lacking
>

Spokes
05-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Actually you don't need the "paper clip" parts. Those are adapters for another bike. You need the muffler hangers and the brackets that hold the large chrome base hanger to the rear of the fender frame. (they mount both on the shock and the additional bracket I am speaking of)There is an optional cross member that you could use.

I have my aftermarket stainless muffler hangers. They are stainless and I have redesigned the bracket into bendable segments for a better fit.

I have one original base bracket and one of my aftermarket ones. They are a very close match and are painted bright silver.

If the light bodies are gone. I can (and have) build nice shiney silver new ones with 6 volt bulbs, complete with mounting and wiring.

My through the frame wiring system requires you to replace the press in mounts with my hollow bolt system. Otherwise you can drill holes in the bags for wires.

You can pm me for further details. I have references from folks who have gotten my restored Buco product and my lights. My lights have the beehive lens, but you can get the Stratolite types that will fit.

This is a pic of a set of Buco bags on my 65 CA95 restore (now sold)
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=54

wnbasac
05-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Mr.Spokes i sent you a pm about the bags and here's some pics of my bags and brackets
>
i also took in my bike to Charlies Place ( a haven for old hondas ) today and i can't wait till its done
>
he told me that everyone is putting on those old school fake whitewalls on there bikes.i haven't seen those things since i was a kid.
>
when i was there i saw a lot of benly's and dreams with the OEM blinker set-ups on the handlebars
>
thanks a gain and have a HondaFull Day

Spokes
05-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Yes, the fake whitewalls are an option. You can get Firestone Whitwall Tires for your Honda at www.universaltire.com @ $117.00 ea (325-16 with a 1-1/2whitewall.

Original turn signals can be obtained at a steep price because you need a original righthand turnsignal switch, holes in the handlebars and bulbs and lenses in the rear fender support. Turn signals were not required on these bikes back in the 1960's, so the original parts are hard to come by and expensive.

I build aftermarket sets. Handlebar mounted switch, clamp on chrome handlebar brackets, bullet lights conduit and all. The rears are mounted on the fender braces. It is best to run the wiring under the fender, but I have done a set that runs through the fender bracket and into the side covers. I should be building a couple of sets by mid June. There is a 3 to 4 week lead time as I have to source all of the componants.

wnbasac
05-24-2010, 05:25 PM
ok i got the word from the mechanic ( Charlie's place ) thats working on my bike
>
carb rebuild
>
its seems i need a set of points ( what years, models ) work on the ca95???
>
i was looking at a set on flea-bay would this work?
>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-C71-CB92-C92-C95-CA92-CA95-BENLY-IGNITION-POINTS-/330399248430?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ced54702e#ht_500wt_1182
>
he didn't like my coil make-over ( replaced the wires according to Mr.Spokes instructions ) he mentioned retrofitting a new coil,umm i'll have to get some more info on that
>
thanks again for your help and have a HondaFull Day

Spokes
05-24-2010, 05:49 PM
The coil wire retro fit has worked many times. I have done it on my own bikes and have run for hundreds of miles. Do you know why he does not like it? He can't sell you a new one!

Watchout for the hawks out there. Remember that these "mechanics" are also paid commission on sales, just like the service writer at the dealership. Commission, Commission, Commission.

Now you need points, oh now you need...Oh yes, Now you need...

You can find nice aftermarket points on ebay.
Write to this forum for great info from many of us who work on these bikes. We are out there to help..free of charge.

Be careful.

PM me on your Buco stuff. It is unheard of building lights for Buco bags..Can't be done... Yea phoey...

Smithers
05-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Awww I wish I had time to do a thread on rebuilding these starters. They are fully serviceable and quite easy to work on! I rebuilt the one in my CB72, replaced the bearings, surfaced the brushes and synthetic greased it up... better then new. The starters on these babys are super strong. The bearings to service them are out there too.

wnbasac
06-15-2010, 05:50 PM
ok she's almost done but my clutch starts to slip when she gets warmed up
>
does anyone know the part #'s for clutch plates 1965 model, I'm assuming that's all I need since the other parts are metal? everyone here is more experinced than me that's why I'm asking
>
also I have a set of nos grips in the bag that fits the early ca95 and I need the late grips ( trade )
>
thanks AGAIN, Lou

Sam Green
06-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Lou, there are plenty of clutch plates out there but beware of repros from Thailand.
Check out ebay, if you can't find genuine ones there is a seller of Barnett ones.
Honda part # is 22201-200-000. There may be other numbers but the plates are all the same for C90, C92, CS92, C95, CA95, CB92 and CB95.

Sam.:)

wnbasac
06-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Thank You Sam!!
>
i thought that some part #'s changes by the years and i just wanted to be sure
>
thanks again,lou

Sam Green
06-16-2010, 12:20 AM
The numbers do change Lou but all the models listed above use the same friction plates. The C90 is the early 125cc twin (not the step through C90) that was Japanese market only.

Sam.:)

wnbasac
07-10-2010, 04:00 PM
got my bike back from the hospital and man i tell you the seller should be arrested for butchering the bike!!!
>
1st - rewired the bike because he cut and spliced using all black wire on the bike and hooked up things like heck a crazy
>
2nd - he glued the petcock on the tank it took a lot of prying to pop it off
>
3rd - he even had a chunk of solder in the carb, had to replace the carb even after a rebuild it just wouldn't work
>
4th - the clutch started slipping after it warmed up so it got all new parts
>
now it purrs like a dream and everything works as it should!!!!
>
>
but and theres always a but i have 1 problem left???
>
the drain plug - the butcher had it all sealed up with who knows what? the bolt i think you can still call it that cause it has a big lump of something on it had to grind it off and grind the edges flat to fit a wrench on it BUT
>
he the threads are jacked who knows maybe he hand no thumbs??? can this be fixed other than change the case out????????
>
it drips oil #@&%*!!!!
>
thanks and have a HondaFull Day, lou

Spokes
07-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Well you have a couple of choices.

1.)Leave it alone, live with the drip and change the oil using a marine type pump. You can find these pumps at any marine supply house.

2.) You can buy a socket that is designed to grip buggered bolt heads and remove the drain plug.

Risk A) Threads are OK. Get a plug from Ohio Cycle. I have an extra drain plug, but it too has been beat.

Risk B.) Threads are bad. You can get a Heli-Coil (sp) from your local auto parts supplier. These "coils" are a type thread insert that is used to repair buggered spark plug holes and the like.

Risk C.) Threads are bad and you crack the engine base. This is the worst case senerio and unlikely.

In any event I happen to have a lower engine case for your bike. But it will be pricey to tear down the motor to replace the bottom half.

Back to choice #1

Buy a cookie sheet and use it to catch the drip. 99% of the old Honda engines that I have seen and even rebuilt...drip

wnbasac
07-10-2010, 07:36 PM
thanks for the reply
>
the plug does come out its just that it doesn't seat all the way in.
>
rat bastard no wonder it had all that gunk on it
>
those Heli-Coils you mentioned do they come in different sizes? is this a do-it-yourself or machine shop?
>
yea your right option #1. drip, drip, drip
>
i have another engine that came with the bike and was going to rebuild it but this engine runs great oh well fun fun fun till my daddy takes the T-Bird away
>
its always something

Spokes
07-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Ohhh. OK. The plug comes out, but does not fully seat. You have 3 easy solutions.

1.) A custom cut 1/8" teflon washer.
2.) An aluminum "crush" washer
3.) A heavy copper washer.

I have a usable drain plug and can get a teflon gasket.
or

You can get crush washers & copper washers and heli coils from a good auto parts store. You can insert the heli coil yourself.

Also you might want to invest in a thread tap. A tap is about $30.00-$40.00 you could "chase" the threads with a tap and that might help seating. (I have a source for metric taps that size)

But try choices 1 2 & 3 first.

By the way, you don't have an oil leak...the bike is just marking its spot...ba da bum..

Spokes
07-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Or buy this drain plug washer before doing anything.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB92-CA95-SS125-Drainplug-Washer-90452-200-000-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5633639f01QQitemZ37022 9354241QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

wnbasac
07-10-2010, 10:58 PM
bought the washers and will try to see if that helps
>
if not plan 1,2 and 3
>
then the metric tap ( what size is it anyway?)
>
thanks again and again, lou

Spokes
07-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I have to take the plug to my supplier to check actual size and thread pitch.
I will reply soon with an answer.

wnbasac
07-19-2010, 09:01 PM
well things are moving forward i think?
>
just received the washers for the oil plug so i'm going to give it a shot and see if i can stop the leak
>
2 things;

1st. when i ride the bike the front end squeaks like theres mice in there? i noticed on the bottom side of the fork where the cover is the nut doesn't have a grease fitting? so i thought i'd take the other side off and match it for a new replacement. NOT it looks like its ONE piece or i'm blind and can't see how to remove the fitting?

2nd. when i 1st tried to us the starter it just clicked so i removed the switch assembly and took it apart, cleaned it and spun the worn brass contact around reassembled the unit and installed it back into the bike.

i then had the starter rebuilt and it now works Beautiful until the dreaded beast of doom raised his nasty head! one day when i took the bike out for a ride i kept hearing a clanging noise and when i got back home and turned off the bike it wouldn't turn off because the starter was engaged and kept turning the engine over. so i removed the starter cable from the battery terminal and it stopped

a. the button wasn't depressed as if in a stuck position
b. i reattached the wire back to the battery and started the bike using the starter button the starter didn't stay engaged but my battery went dead quick as if the connection stayed open???

i guess i should just replace the switch assembly or?

thanks lou

joeficsit
07-20-2010, 04:34 PM
with reguards the starter, make sure the starter relay isn't stuck in the "on" position. I havn't tried with these, but on the later hondas you can open up the relay. Check to make sure the bar that carries the heavy current doesn't have any metal barbs coming off of it causing it to stick inside the case. Just file them down.

Spokes
07-20-2010, 05:39 PM
The grease fittings in your honda are one piece. They are pressed in. I have an extra and can send it to you. You may never find an exact replacement except at the house of spokes!

Sticky starters are one of two things. Starter button or starter switch.

Button test: Disconnect the yellow w red stripe wire leading to the starter switch. With ignition "on" take a continuity light, ground the light and touch the wire while pushing the starter button. It should light up when pushing the button and turn off as soon as the button is released.

Button good then,

I have a personally cleaned up starter switch. It works well, but you have to transfer the ends of your old switch to this one.

Your battery probably went dead because you were using the battery power turning the starter while riding. My guess.

Your welcome to both the grease fitting and the switch. Just let me know.

wnbasac
07-20-2010, 07:39 PM
thanks guys for your help! I know I'm a big pain in the neck and I thank you again for your help

Chip aka mad skills I'll take them just lmk the do-re-me and I'll pp you

thanks again

Smithers
04-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Hows the ol bike running? Are you happy with it? Just been riding the wheels off? :)

wnbasac
04-24-2011, 05:45 PM
yep i really LUV that bike but it is in the hospital right now getting an engine rebuild.
>
i replaced most of parts with nos oem parts,
> cam, cam sprocket, chain, tensioner, roller
> valves, valve guides, inner & outer valve springs
> pistons, pins, rings, crank bearings
>i already replaced all the clutch components
>
just waiting on the side covers to come back from the painter and it will be ready to install back in little red
>
then i'll take my 68 CA77 apart for a paint job & some polishing, ummm something different like candy gold?
>
i'll post pics of little red when its back on the road again
>
Have a Hondafull Day

Greggo325
04-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Sweet man!

Are you in San Francisco too?

wnbasac
04-27-2011, 03:05 PM
no i live in stockton