PDA

View Full Version : So the carb rebuilding begins...

maxwelljd
04-20-2010, 12:18 PM
New battery charged up and put on, starter motor spins just fine but nothing happens. Check for a spark and no such luck.

I start probing around with the multimeter and notice I get 6 volts on the points if they're completely open, completely closed and all the way in between.

After a good cleaning of the points I have a spark! Still no starting and that's when I notice that the carb overflow tube is dumping out gas. Also notice that there's actually no air cleaner on the carb, just a duct! So it looks like a full carb cleaning is in order.

I do have a question. The carb overflow tube goes into the frame where the wiring is and is hidden from everything. I have to remove the battery to look in there. Is this really the best place for it? Shouldn't it be somewhere a bit more noticeable? I'm a MC newbie so maybe I'm missing something...

Spokes
04-20-2010, 01:51 PM
The carb overflow tube goes into the valley just under the carb. That valley has a hole that leads throught the engine. 9 times out of 10 it is clogged with dirt. Work out the hole with a thin phillips screwdriver and feed the overflow tube through it.

If you are overflowing the carb, you might have some dirt in the fuel inlet. You could also have an improper float adjustment or bad floats.

aaron7
04-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Mine was doing that too. Make sure the float is adjusted right and if it is, replace the float needle thing.

BenlyBoy
04-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Or the float is bent a bit and is hanging up on the side of the float bowl. Or stuck in some sediment to the bottom...