PDA

View Full Version : Need a some help with my ca95

themmer
04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
My name is Thomas, I am 20 years old and from a small town in Nebraska. I am working on a 1966 Honda CA95 that I got from my dad. I hasn't been run for about 4+ years now and I want to get it going again. I tried starting it today after cleaning the carb and changing the fuel in the tank and it just wont start. I checked for spark and nothing, so I did some reading on the forum here and read about the coil when it over heats a waxy substance comes out of it. I tore into the bike and noticed a waxy substance on the outside of the coil. Also, when I hooked a 6 volt battery up to it, the starter engages without pushing the start button, it also turns over on all but 2 key positions. I have been looking high and low for parts and havn't found a good supplier of throttle and spedo cable, air filter, and ignition coil, any help with what might be wrong or where to find parts would be appreciated.

Thomas

Spokes
04-12-2010, 09:17 PM
1st thing I would do is clean the points. Another forum member found that any oil on the points kills the spark.
2nd would be is check the coil with an OHM meter 2.0-3.0 would be ok (my opinion) but the wax indicates that it has overheated and may well be toast.

ebay often has coils for the ca95. They usually need new wire and spark plug caps, but sometimes can be used as is.

The starter engaging by itself means the starter button is jammed in and just needs to be cleaned. The other problem is the starter solinoid is rusted in the contact position. I would check the starter button 1st. It is rare that the solinoid would lock in the engaged position.

The key. 1st position up is ignition 2nd position up is ignition and lights There are more positions, but those two will get you going. You can download the manual for more info off the internet.

aaron7
04-13-2010, 03:41 AM
When it comes to old bikes it's best to really gut the bike and check everything. Replace wheel bearings, grease everything, inspect the wiring, rebuild the carb, etc. Last thing you want is something falling off or breaking when you're doing 40 down the road!

themmer
04-13-2010, 08:16 PM
I checked the coil today and found out its no good, I purchased a used coil and hope it works, but it needs new caps. How would I go about replacing them? Also went to the honda dealer in town and ordered a new battery and will have it ready for when I get the coil installed.

Thomas

Spokes
04-13-2010, 09:38 PM
go to www.hondaminitrail.com and click on CT70 Oval. Go to part KO-78 order these NKG caps at $3.50 each. They are the perfect fit. If you want to go one step further, you can get 7mm solid core snowmobile wire from ebay, 3ft for about $5.50. When you get the coil, you will see what looks like a plastic type seal at the base of the spark plug wire. Break the seal and pull out the wire. Cut the new spark plug wire to lengh and insert the wire into the spike contacts in the coil. Reseal with automotive sealant and install your new plug caps. That's the mac-daddy job. I have done this to my coils, it works very nice and also looks great.

themmer
04-20-2010, 07:53 PM
I got my new battery and coil in and I now have spark. I also figured out the starter trouble, the wire going to the button was grounding. The only trouble now is the carb, I think its the adjustment screws. What was the factory setting for the air mixture?

Thomas

Spokes
04-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Does the bike start?

themmer
04-20-2010, 08:20 PM
I ran for a few seconds with the choke half way and the throttle about 1/2 to 3/4, after that it just sputtered.

Spokes
04-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Ok. There may be more than adjustments and others will chime in, but to start, you see two screws on the left side of the carb. One is at a bit of an angle. That one is for low speed riding. The second one that is looking at you is the idle screw.

It sounds like you are running out of gas. Check for dirt in tank fuel bowl. One piece of dirt can cause the float in the carb to stick open or closed.

Or you have an air leak. Maybe you have over tightend the mounting nuts attaching the carb to the engine.

See if that helps. It's the easy stuff 1st.

themmer
04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
I will check those things tomorrow, thanks for the help.

Thomas

mk2davis
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
With the choke needing to be on, I'm wondering if the air mixture adjustment is correct. It sounds like it maybe too lean without the choke.

aaron7
04-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Could be an air leak. Check the rubber carb to insulator o-ring as well as the insulator to head gasket. Could even be the top of the carb gasket.

themmer
04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
I did some checking and everything looks good, I adjusted the screws a little and now all it does is backfire and will kinda start without the choke. How should I go about adjusting the screws on the carb? Any other things I should try first?

Thanks for the help

Thomas

Spokes
04-21-2010, 05:19 PM
If the engine is cold a choke to start is normal. The backfire may be that the valve's are out of adjustment. Smithers has a string to set the valve lash.

On one of my CA95 rebuilds I thought I set the valve lash correctly. The rebuild included everything cleaned up or replaced. Went to start..backfire and no start. Readjusted the valves and she purred like a kitten. So if all fails check the valve lash under the caps, Smithers is a pro at this.

themmer
06-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I finally got my Dream running over the weekend and it runs great. I ended up removing the carb and cleaning it again. I put it back on and it started on the first kick, it still needs a little more fine tuning but i'm just glad it runs. Thanks for all the help everyone, Thomas.