PDA

View Full Version : Not a great weekend...

phoenix216
04-12-2010, 10:15 AM
This was supposed to be the weekend! I was planning a victory parade around the neighborhood and everything.

I finally got the mess of wiring straightened out on Friday (thanks Spokes). On Saturday I charged the new battery and put the last few pieces on the bike. Sunday morning I said a prayer to whatever deity might be listening, turned the key and hit the start button. The starter kicked in and didn't stop. I'd had to make my own contact plate and bracket and my bracket had bent and was touching the contact plate. Oops! Fixed that and tried it again. Starter kicked in but the engine didn't turn over. Turned it off and was getting ready to check for spark when fuel started rapidly dripping out of the side of the tank. I had tested the tank several times with water but there must have been enough paint in this tiny crack to keep the water in until the gas melted it. After some fun cleaning up gasoline (which blistered some of my fuel and oil resistant paint) I got around to checking the coil. I'm only getting spark on one side. I imagine one of the wires I replaced isn't making contact inside the coil. Not a big deal - but obnoxious. It should be fun to see what goes wrong next.

Smithers
04-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I hear you on that... from one problem to the next. I can seriously imagine the Honda guys working hard at the Honda factory fixing last minute problems on half the bikes that rolled off the assembly line!!

Brewster
04-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Its so easy to get three weeks work into sorting out all the problems that took these old bikes off the road years ago. Much time just to get one running and driving, then mantance is needed on all the chassie items. The rewards are worth it when you take that first ride. When you take the bike to the gas station for the first time in 20+ years there will be many guys that will come up and look and smile.

aaron7
04-13-2010, 05:18 AM
I know the feeling! First my carb just wouldn't adjust right. Then my lights kept dying. Then I kept losing spark... finally after nearly a year of rebuilding I took my first ride! Scary as all hell as I kept thinking something was gonna fall off and kill me, but so much fun!

Smithers
04-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Yeah it's funny to see people's reactions. Then I tell em' $1500 and you can take it home! :) kiddin

aaron7
04-13-2010, 06:34 AM
haha yah really. I'd take a grand for mine and put it towards a CA77 :D

Smithers
04-13-2010, 06:42 AM
$1700 seems to be the magic number for this guy :D This was at the San Jose Vintage Bike Show last month. (http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=918)

http://fourwheelperformance.com/trips/sanjose2010_hondas_03.jpg