PDA

View Full Version : Carb Cleaning Party

gbaumgratz
03-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Finally turning into spring so I better get cleaning. Seems that 30 years of sitting has made for a pretty gummy and caked carb. I did manage to get most everything apart and have cleaned most smaller parts with some soaking. Considering taking the body to someone to see how much it would be to sonic clean it. Any opinions on whether I would be better off with the carb cleaner and finding some brushes? I suppose there's varying opinions on this... anyone here have a sonic cleaner that offers the service?

How about simmering in a pot of lemon juice? Heard that one?

Spokes
03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
The hot lemon juice is not that far off. Citric acid is a safe cleaner. You really don't need a sonic cleaner. Some good automotive carb or electrical contact cleaner should do the trick.

Smithers
03-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah I wouldn't do anything fancy. Just soak it in some warm carb cleaner solution for 10-15 minutes and make sure it's not eating at the alloy too much. Maybe put it back in for a while longer if needed. Just have a good assortment of picks and scrapers ready. It won't take long to do it. Heck, it's only one simple carb. :)

aaron7
03-31-2010, 03:39 AM
If it's so simple why is mine giving me so much grief???? haha

gbaumgratz
04-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Well, a couple of 30 minute soaks in the Berrymans Chem dip and I think we are good to go. Oh and if anyone wonders how long it takes to find the spring after stupidly sitting it on the rag and when you finish you pick up the rage and fling it on the garage floor - the answer is 40 minutes. Time to put everything back together and start cleaning points. Need to make a temporary gas tank while I am cleaning out the old one.

Brewster
04-10-2010, 06:15 AM
You could try my carb cleaner, its $3 or $4 a gallon. I use white vinegar.
Put a quart in a pan and heat it on the stove till it boils. Have a glass container that the carb and parts fit into and pour the boiling vinegar right into it. Let it set for around 20-30 minutes then pull out and wash with hot water and soap. Hit it with compressed air and it should be CLEAN. Try it, IT WORKS GREAT !!! Pull the jets and stuff so it can clean the passageways. Unlike other cleaners you dont have to worry about damaging rubber. Plus the vinegar will stop any corrosion that has developed from water in the bowl. This works great for other cleaning also, I clean any alumunim thats crusted. Removes rust also.

Smithers
04-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Hmm interesting. I'll have to try this "vinegar" solution sometime. :)

Brewster
04-13-2010, 04:16 AM
Its simlar to the wheel cleaner you and Spokes use, a mild acid solution.
I wanted to remove built up water stains in a carb and so I used vinegar like I clean a coffee maker. Thats when I found that it cleans carbs great. Better or as good as the carb cleaners in a can and a lot less toxic, cheaper too.
I have also used a hot water and baking soda mix to rinse after the vinegar bath to netralize the acid but cant really tell if thats any good. The baking soda mix dulls it a bit. Try it on a petcock next time your rebuilding one.