PDA

View Full Version : I knew it was going too good... lost spark

juicemavin
03-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Oh somebody please help....

I've been in the putting back together phase for the last few weeks. Everythings painted, cleaned, and cleaned some more. I decided to put the seat and wheels on (even though there not in the condition I want them in) and take this beast for a ride.

I'd had it running a half dozen times on the bike table. Then took it out twice both times making it around the block before it would die. I went through the fuel switch again and the carb thinking that I was making it as far as I could with what gas was in the carb and the fuel line. After putting it all back together.... Nothing.

Went to check for spark and I have nothing. Here's what has me very worried....

Everytime I started this thing (and rode it) there was no battery in the bike at all. I would just give it a couple kicks and off I went. From reading other threads on this forum I'm worried that I fried something. The only other thing I did before I took it off the table and actually rode it was put the points cover on. I haven't taken it back off yet to check but will do that soon.

Anybody have any ideas on what damage I may have caused by riding without a battery?

FYI... I have spares of just about everything. I tried for kicks a second coil but no luck with that one either.

Oh I hope someone can help.... Thanks All

Spokes
03-28-2010, 05:25 PM
From all of the reading I've done, it is claimed that these engines won't run without a battery. But yet, you have done so.

Being that I have never tried to run without a battery, I would look at:

1.) Condenser-could be cooked.
2.) Make sure that during the ride, the loose positive battery cable did not ground itself out and cooked some wires.
3.) Look for any signs of wax drip on the coil. It will leak a waxy substance when over heated.
4.) Check the green dynamo wire that is routed through the engine cover and connects to the points. If not routed properly it will short out.
5.) The rectifier should have a thick rubber like gasket that prevents contact with any wires or cables, if yours does not have it, and the edges are sharp, you could have caused a short (a long shot)

If all fails, I would pull the harness and look for melted wires. I have purchased several wiring harness's for my builds off of ebay. 2 out of 3 shows signs of melted wires.

While your at it, I would pull the AC dynamo and check for damage.

I hope this helps.

Sam Green
03-29-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm lost when it comes to the wireing loom. Mine being a race bike for over 40 years, I've never used the generating system or wire loom.
From memory it wouldn't run if the battery was flat but yours dose.
Perhaps if the battery is not conected it dose run as you have proved.
The motor only needs a few sparks to run but the generator produces much more than is needed to charge the battery for the lights, horn and starter.
If the amount the generator is more than the motor needs, where is it all going, perhaps you have fried something.

Sam. :confused:

aaron7
03-29-2010, 03:46 AM
Sigh... I'm in the same boat. Mine was running and riding just the other day but needed to be timed. I played with the timing and now have lost spark entirely. I even tried putting the timing back to how it was to no avail.

This bike hates me!

juicemavin
03-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks All for the ideas and suggestions...

I am super excited to say that I fixed it. Unfortunately I'm not 100% sure what fixed it. I tried a few things before it actually worked. Man am I lucky to have a spare parts bike.

1. I replaced the ignition coils - nothing

2. I went through the wiring and looked for exposed ends, etc - nothing

3. On a whim decided to pull the AC Dynamo and compare it visually to my spare. The spare was much cleaner as this one had rust on the inside on the contacts where the magnets pass by. So I decided to replace it.

4. Before checking for spark I pulled the headlight and checked the wiring there... I found a couple of wires where the insulation didnt cover the entire end. I taped these up, put everything back together... two kicks and it fired right up. Okay okay... I checked for spark first so I was fully expecting it to fire.

I did all of this again without a battery!

The bummer is after getting it all back up and running I went and finally bought a battery. when I put it in the cylinoid (sp?) just hummed and when I hit the button nothing. I have a spare but I haven't tried putting it in yet as I was getting pretty tired.

This Forum is the best... I'm pretty sure Ive read every thread six times.

Thank everyone for your help... I've been working on bikes for a long time and know my way around a motorcycle pretty well. I have to say... This little bike has taught me a thing or two.... For sure. It's been a blast.

Spokes
03-31-2010, 07:36 PM
Before reinstalling the second solinoid touch the yellow wire to the positive battery post and the black wire to the negitive post of the battery. You should hear and feel it engage. If not, take it apart and clean the contacts. It is just an electromagnetic switch.

Spokes
04-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Aaron just informed me of why he lost spark...I was too dull to think of it. It is a reminder to check simple 1st. He got some gas and/or oil on the points.

That will kill the spark.

Should of thought of that.