PDA

View Full Version : Your surplus cams are needed.

Sam Green
03-24-2010, 12:50 AM
I need CA95 cams, early and late to compare against my C95 cam.
I would preffer them in good condition but worn is Ok as long as there is a ridge to measure from where the rocker has not worn it down.
The early one is the one with a worm on the end for the rev counter drive.
If you have a spare tacho drive in good condition, I need one of those as well as mine is showing its age.

Sam.;)

Smithers
03-24-2010, 08:58 AM
I have some cams in an extra engine... I can give you the engine number so you can see what year they are from.

aaron7
03-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Hmm what are you brainstorming here? Some high lift cams??? :D

Sam Green
03-24-2010, 09:48 PM
I have some cams in an extra engine... I can give you the engine number so you can see what year they are from.

It don't matter what year it is Ryan, if it has a tacho drive it's early, if not it's a later one.

Sam.;)

Sam Green
03-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Hmm what are you brainstorming here? Some high lift cams??? :D

Aaron, Aaron, Aaron, if only it was that simple:D:D:D:D:D:D

I have 5 different cams that will work in my motor, all have the same lift but, all have different profiles. Two have different duration and the others have different opening and closing times. I just want to check what the CAs have in them. If they are the same, I'll just end up with a couple of spare cams.

Sam.;)

Brewster
03-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Sam that is very interesting. The cams you have are all for the 150 engine?
It sure would be nice to have the original factory engineering info on the cams. I am sure you know of the Megacycle and other aftermarket cam companys that were around back in the day. It would be nice to just go to a book and pick out the cam profile you would like to have.

Sam Green
03-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Yes, it would be nice if you could just pick the right one off the shelf.
We have to do it the hard way by having cams reprofiled and experiment with them on the dyno. Somtimes you get lucky and a cam from another model might improve the performance in the area where you need it.
Moving the valve timing around can alter where the engine makes its power.
You might get it breathing well at the top end of the rev range and at times even higher up the range but you usualy end up with no useable power low down, it depends what type of racing you are doing as well.

Sam.;)

Sam Green
03-30-2010, 05:47 AM

Did you pull that cam out Ryan ?

Sam.;)

Spokes
03-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Hey Sam,
Were you looking for a "loaner" for comparison or a "keeper"? I have a pristine cam for my 65 CA95. I won't need it for a month or two. I would loan it for comparison. But need it back.

pm with detail if loaner your looking for.

Smithers
03-30-2010, 09:05 PM
I can take mine out anytime. Just looking for a lucky cam from Honda? Are you going to do a custom grind on it? Dyno work? Custom race engine? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sam Green
03-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Hey Sam,
Were you looking for a "loaner" for comparison or a "keeper"? I have a pristine cam for my 65 CA95. I won't need it for a month or two. I would loan it for comparison. But need it back.

pm with detail if loaner your looking for.

A loan would be fine and I'll cover your shipping cost.
Is it the early cam with the worm for the rev counter drive or the later one without it ?

My details are,

Sam Green,
41 Sycamore Cres,
Hollins Green,
Warrington,
WA3 6JR,
England.

Sam.;)

Sam Green
03-31-2010, 03:01 AM
I can take mine out anytime. Just looking for a lucky cam from Honda? Are you going to do a custom grind on it? Dyno work? Custom race engine? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ryan, I allready have a custom race motor with all the factory race kit in it.
I also have several motors that I have built with components from other models that produce more power than the factory kit.
I want to compare all the cams that fit this motor to find out which one is best and then try to improve on it.
I need to know all the valve opening and closing times plus the lift.
The only two cams I don't have to hand are the CA95s (early and late).
Just trying to build the ULTIMATE Benly:D:D:D Did I mention the turbo and nitrous oxide:rolleyes:

Sam.;)

Spokes
03-31-2010, 04:43 AM
My cam is a later one. 1965 no worm gear for a tach.

Sam Green
03-31-2010, 04:59 AM
My cam is a later one. 1965 no worm gear for a tach.

That's OK then, still looking for the early one people.

Sam.;)

Smithers
03-31-2010, 07:17 AM
I'll take pictures of my head right now.

Sam Green
03-31-2010, 07:27 AM
I'll take pictures of my head right now.

Needs to be the right hand side.

Sam.;)

Smithers
03-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Picky Picky! =:-) I had to DIG through some stuff to get these out! They were stored way back under the bench which was already under some boxes and engine parts haha figures!

http://fourwheelperformance.com/honda/ca95_head_camshafts.jpg

http://fourwheelperformance.com/honda/ca95_head_camshaftsprocketside.jpg

http://fourwheelperformance.com/honda/ca95_heads_tachdrive.jpg

aaron7
03-31-2010, 09:09 AM
What's that big doo-dad hanging off the side on that head?

Sam Green
03-31-2010, 10:22 PM
Aaron, that big doo-dad is the rev counter drive gearbox (tacho drive).

Thanks Ryan, yours is the early cam that I need, Spokes has the later one that he will loan to me.
Would you loan or sell the cam and I do need the rev counter drive as I have two that are both tatty.
The drive is held in place by 4 cross head screws just the same as on the head with no drive.
The 4th screw (the top one) is inside the body and is accessed by removing the 12mm bolt which lines up with internal screw.
On the end of the 12mm sealing bolt you will notice a little titty, the titty locates into a small recess in the bush/sleeve that the cable drive sits in.
To remove the bush and drive, undo the knurled blanking cap where the cable would go in. Inside should be a seal, remove the seal and withdraw the cable gear. The bush should then be able to be slid out exposing the 4th top cross head screw deep in the housing. When removing this screw, take care not to damage the threads where the 12mm bolt with the titty locates.
With all 4 screws out the empty rev counter housing should just pull off.
Once off, you will notice that the bush that the right hand end of the cam runs in is part of the rev counter housing.
Hope you can help Ryan or anyone else with this type of cam and drive.

Regards Sam.;)

Smithers
04-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Come on Sam I've done this a few times! Let me get the air ratchet and I'll strip this sucker down for you no problem. ;)

http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/honda/ca95_head_03.jpg

How about I just send you the whole thing? Just pay the shipping and maybe you could make a small donation as I'm saving money to upgrade the forum software. :D

Sam Green
04-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Give me a shipping price and an idea of what you call a donation.
I'll be offline in about an hour untill Monday, PM me if you wish.

Sam.;)

Smithers
04-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Ok I'll get back to you soon. I'm swamped as well so I'll box it up and weigh it later on. Have a good weekend boss.

Sam Green
04-01-2010, 07:21 AM
You to Ryan.;)

Sam.;)

Sam Green
04-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Ok I'll get back to you soon. I'm swamped as well so I'll box it up and weigh it later on. Have a good weekend boss.

Hi Ryan, did you get a price? You too Mr Spokes, any ideas?

Sam.:)

Spokes
04-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Sam, I don't want to appear daft, but I was under the impression that my later cam (1965-no tach. drive) was of no interest. Ok by me, no big deal.

Smithers
04-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Sams experimenting. :D Finding the perfect cam grind so he can make a couple sets to sell to us.

And I just got a bunch of new boxes for shipping so I'll have it ready to go today.

Sam Green
04-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Sam, I don't want to appear daft, but I was under the impression that my later cam (1965-no tach. drive) was of no interest. Ok by me, no big deal.

Hi Mr S, I wanted to check the later one as well in case they had changed the profile, not daft at all.:rolleyes:
By the way, what's your name, can't keep calling you Mr S ?

Smithers
04-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Morning Sam, it's just Ryan. I'll get back to you asap a little later on with the goods.

http://fourwheelperformance.com/phorum/coffee_vintage_motorcycles_01.jpg

Spokes
04-19-2010, 09:07 AM
I go by Chip. Chip off the old block. My daddy was a pistol and I'm a son of a gun.
pm me with an address. I will be shipping a bunch of stuff at the end of the week, I can include the cam. It will be a loan and you can have it for about 3weeks before sending it back.

Sam Green
04-22-2010, 02:48 AM
A loan would be fine and I'll cover your shipping cost.
Is it the early cam with the worm for the rev counter drive or the later one without it ?

My details are,

Sam Green,
41 Sycamore Cres,
Hollins Green,
Warrington,
WA3 6JR,
England.

Sam.;)

I guess I already gave it to you Chip.;)

Sam Green
04-22-2010, 02:52 AM
Morning Sam, it's just Ryan. I'll get back to you asap a little later on with the goods.

http://fourwheelperformance.com/phorum/coffee_vintage_motorcycles_01.jpg

I already got you Ryan, it was Chip (Mr Spokes) I was asking.

To many Mr S :D

Mr Sam.:rolleyes:

Sam Green
04-26-2010, 05:10 AM
At the weekend, I picked up a very unusual cam.
It is one of the very early cams which conected to a distributor on the right hand side of the head.
It wasn't this that atracted me to it. The cam has a very wild profile and I am itching to get IT and all the other cams into the test rig.
It could be somthing very special or just somthing that someone has had re-profiled and it didn't work, fingers crossed.:confused:

Sam Green
05-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Last night I had a play around with a few of the cams I had in the house.
Although I havn't got the rig set up to measure the timing, duration and lift, I was able to measure the differences in the rise of 3 cams. (the high point of the cam in relation to the top surface of the head.)
The CB92 Super Sport cam measured .04mm higher than its dowdy brother the C92 and the wild looking cam that I picked up last weekend measured a further .06mm. This don't tell you the lift (determined by the amount of metal on the base circle of the cam) but it gives you an idea of what is to come.
I'll be setting the full rig up next weekend when it's hoped the CA cams from Ryan and Chip will have arrived. I'm itching:D

aaron7
05-06-2010, 07:58 AM
So... custom cams on the way? Could use a little more power ;D

Sam Green
05-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Well Chips cam arrived yesterday through the volcanic ash cloud that is hanging over the UK, hope to get it measured over the weekend.

Sam Green
05-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Well the CA95 cam seems to be a long dureation job with the inlet starting to open at 32* BTDC and is fully closed at 83* ABDC with a lift of 5.13mm.
The exhaust valve starts to open at 67* bbdc and is fully closed at 64* ATDC.
* read degrees. Thanks Chip, will get it back in the post on Monday.
Still waiting on Ryans early cam, I have a feeling it will be the same but with the rev counter drive.

Sam Green
06-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Well all the cams dialed the same figures except the C95 cam that has much wilder figures (came out without them, will post tomorrow)
The C95 probably has more grunt lower down but the cam in the CA95 allows it to make power a little higher up the rev range. The lift was the same on all the cams.

Sam.;)