PDA

View Full Version : How to register?

Hohlederschatten
03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
I have no title and no bill of sale for this bike. i was wondering if anybody knew of a way i could register it. i am located in NY and i have heard it is very hard if not impossible to do so without these forums.

Ideas?

mk2davis
03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't know about NY law, but for CA if the bike has not been registered for 7 years, then the bike falls out of the DMV system. This makes it much cheaper to bring back into the system because there is no back registration due. Take them a bill of sale that you will have to find, take the bike to CHP so they can verify the VIN numbers (so the bike aint stolen), and your all set. I've done it with a few bikes, and it's relatively painless.

It's very important that you make sure they know it was originally a street bike. This way you don't have to go through a brake and light verification.

Hohlederschatten
03-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Well the bike was last on the road in 1977 (i even have the sticker to show that) so it has been more than 7 years but getting to CHP will be a little problem...

Smithers
03-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah you shouldn't have much of a problem. Just make sure the VIN is easily readable and you shouldn't even have to take it to your highway patrol to have them verify it. You just have to fill out some paperwork and be prepared to declare what year it is so that you can do it properly. So look up the VIN and see what year it was produced before you go. Then they might ask you to write down an explanation of why you have the bike. It could have been in storage? Passed down from the family? Traded to you a long time ago by a guy that owed you money?

They WANT you to pay motor vehicle fees so they will be happy to help you register it. ;) Here in CA it costs a fortune so they are happy to title legitimate vehicles and take your money. I've titled like 5 old Hondas myself.