PDA

View Full Version : Tire Change How-To needed.

nustar1
02-26-2010, 01:14 PM
I know this sounds crazy but can somebody tell me how to change the tire. I don't have an owners manual and the shop manuals are vague at best. I've done his on other bikes but this thing is so weird with the drum brake hub and chain guard.

Thanks

Joe

mk2davis
02-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I assume you talking about the rear tire?

I just did this a few days ago, and it's easier than you think its going to be. I started off by putting some wood blocks under the center stand to raise the rear tire off the ground. Disconnect the brake rod and the drum connecting rod, take off the smaller axle retaining nut, and pull out the axle. It takes a small amount of finesse, but at this point you should be able to have an assistant tilt the bike on the center stand enough to pull the tire out.

The rear chain sprocket stays in place.

There's probably a smarter way, but this is what worked for me.

Spokes
02-26-2010, 02:34 PM
You can buy Tire Irons off of ebay. and do it your self. I did it the easy way,
took it to my Honda dealer, he peeled off the old one, peeled on the new one. (replacing the tube and rubber liner) This is the part of the project that money replaces effort the best.

Smithers
02-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Well just take digital pictures while you are taking it apart and you'll have them when you go to put it back together. It is a little tricky but if you just lay your parts out while you are taking it apart you can't go wrong putting it back together. Some nice summer day I might take off my rear tire on my CA160 and post some pictures. The back wheel and the chain cover have NEVER been taken apart since the day it was assembled! It works great and I was doing 65mph just fine on the freeway last summer. :D