PDA

View Full Version : CA95 Engine Restoration

65Honda
02-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Hello,
I'm new here. Wondering if there are any old Honda experts out there. I am restoring a '65 150 Dream. I have most of the engine parts needed to rebuild it except for one piece - the cam chain tensioner (plastic roller on an aluminum arm) Does anyone know where to find a replacement? Thanks for the help.

Smithers
02-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi there. Are you asking for a brand new one? The original ones seem to last forever unless it's corroded or something.

Spokes
02-23-2010, 12:20 PM
check item 260196281370 on ebay $14.99 + shipping. You get the arm/roller, adjustment nut & bolt with the spring and pusher. It's for a 1966 CA95 and will work on your 1965 CA95

65Honda
02-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Hello,
well its not really corrosion problem. The aluminum arm is fine. The black plastic wheel is a little bit marked up. Might be okay to reuse it but I would hate to have it fail after having rebuilt the engine. What do you guys think?

65Honda
02-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi guys,
I had a look at the piece on Ebay and yes it does like like the item I am looking for however it is difficult to determine if it is better than the one I have.

Spokes
02-23-2010, 07:14 PM
To be truthfull, the last CA95 engine I rebuilt, had a rough wheel and I used it anyway. I ran the bike almost 800 miles and sold it. From what I hear from the new owner, the bike is running fine.

So if the wheel is a bit rough, from my experience, OK to use.

Just a case in point opinion. Some may argue one way or another.

I do have an extra tensioner wheel, it too is not perfect.

The listing on ebay was special because it had the tensioner screw....can't find those anywhere, had mine been bad I would of bought it in a heartbeat.

Smithers
02-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah I had my pick of two different ones when I put my engine back together. I just used the one that seemed to look better. I never even thought about looking for a newer one. As long as it spins it's fine. :)

65Honda
02-24-2010, 04:31 PM
I was thinking about reusing the tensioner and your answers just helped me decide. On another note for the same engine, what is your take on engine electrical (stator) The wiring on my stator looks a little brittle. Do you think it wise to replace it? Not really sure on testing it beyond a continuity test?

Spokes
02-24-2010, 10:36 PM
The wiring that you see may appear brittle, but it may be the outer insulation that has that appearance. You can only test it on the bike. So what I look for is: 1.) Exposed wires that the insulation is missing.
2.) Are the wire ends (going to the harness) tight and clean?

If it looks OK then reuse it. It is an easy part to replace once the bike is back together.

I have one that has an exposed wire, I may just try an experiment and coat the open wire with liquid tape. Sometimes with old electrical stuff, you just have to take your chances.

65Honda
02-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the information. I don't have too much experience with bike engines (my other hobby is my 65 Mustang) I'll reassemble with this stator providing no "opens" are found. Let us know how the liquid tape thing works

Jim

Smithers
02-25-2010, 05:32 PM
I've never seen a classic Honda stator NOT work. :) Odds are it's not a problem. If there are any cracks in those wires just put some 3M electrical tape around em.

Spokes
02-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Ah the 65 Mustang. I had a 65 Mustang in 1969, my senior year in high school. Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Beatles, Bob Dylan, Janis all alive and on my 8 track...

65Honda
03-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Okay got the timing marks for the cam chain install figured out.(Thanks guys for your help) The next question: how is the tensioner adusted? Can anyone explain the procedure?

As a side note, I had to have some pretty extensive repair done on the cylinder head. A previous owner stripped one of the spark plug threads - then tried to rethread it larger which left a huge hole. I took it to a local automotive machine shop for repair. The hole was welded shut before reboring and restoring to the original spark plug thread. I was impressed with the end result. Amazing what can be done, although it wasn't exactly cheap.

Spokes
03-28-2010, 07:04 PM
This is one procedure that is a bit foggy when it comes to what the manual states and what I have done in the past.

The manual asks to remove a exaust tappet cover and rotate the engine in reverse direction until the exaust valve begins to operate. With the adjusting nut loose, screw the adjusting screw down until the screw touches the cam chain tensioner and tighten the adjusting nut.

If you can't do that procedure, then just turn the adjusting screw in until it touches the cam chain tensioner.

From experience, the best thing to do is to install a new cam chain when rebuilding the engine. I did not replace the chain when I did mine and I visually adjusted the chain to give the chain about 1/8 inch of movement (looking at the cam chain through the removed cam chain cover at the top of the engine)

If you hear the chain while the engine is running, you have some adjustment room. If you still hear the chain, it should be replaced.

65Honda
03-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Okay sounds like a reasoanble procedure. It will be a while before I am at the "engine running stage" I will check with my local Honda dealer for a new chain however I know they hate looking up the "old stuff" for me

Last time I checked with them for obsolete parts I lucked out with a new old stock engine kill switch for my ST90. Must have been the only one left in Canada

Spokes
03-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Just call the dealer and ask for part# 14401-200-004 cam chain. Most likely it will have an updated part number. If they can't get it, you can get it off ebay and in 6 weeks have it.

But, if it were me...and it is me...LOL ( I am rebuilding a ca95 engine for my project) I would (and intend to) reuse the original chain. Chance's are it is still good and you have some room for adjustment.

Usually these small bikes are used about town and generally not as a means of general transportation. So being that it is a hobby and a fun bike I tend to reuse some old parts. If it was anything else but a fun occasional rider, I would replace items like the timing chain.

65Honda
04-01-2010, 04:37 PM
okay Thanks. So how tight should I tighten the adjuster? And yes this will be one more toy to tinker with. Also working on a CT200, a Dream 305 and of course the old 'stang Too many intersts, if only I didn't have to work for a living.LOL

Spokes
04-01-2010, 04:58 PM
I owned the 65 mustang in high school in 68-69 when they were a dime a dozen. Adjust the chain with about 1/8-1/4 " play. When the engine runs, you should not hear any chain noise. If you do, turn out the screw until it is silent. If it still can be heard, it's new chain time.