PDA

View Full Version : piston sizes ??

piperboast
02-08-2010, 05:50 AM
I need to know what size the standard pistons are in mm. I'm not sure how many sizes plus pistons I have already ???49.95 I think I have

Sam Green
02-08-2010, 08:58 AM
49mm is standard bore. 49.95 will be the fourth oversize (plus 1mm).

Sam.;)

piperboast
02-09-2010, 09:50 AM
thanks sam... anyone ever sleeved one of these ?? my cylinder is pitted pretty bad and would need to run a bore through it for sure.. maybe even 1mm. or any other suggestions ??

Sam Green
02-10-2010, 07:39 AM
The pitting would have to be real bad if the 50mm fourth oversize won't work.
It is posible to bore bigger and use the 2nd 3rd and 4th oversizes of the CA160 piston, the block will stand boring out to 52mm 175cc.
Sleaves are available on ebay but you have bore the block to fit the sleave and then the sleave to fit the piston.
Did you say you had a 1mm oversize set of pistons, if so take it to a machine shop and ask them what they think best.
Where are you located, I take it you're in the States ?

Sam.

piperboast
02-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks again. I got the bike from a neighbour for nothing and figured I would take a good look at it. The plugs were out and cylinders had "water" in them. They were seized solid and took a few weeks of soking to loosen them up. looks like oil starvation was the culprit. the bottom end spins like a champ and was hoping for a quick fix. The cylinders are pitted preetty bad but I will look into the larger pistons from the 160. will the crank and rods be able to take the power ? have you done this before?. I am near kitchener, Ontario. I know of a shop that could probably bore it out but they would not help in searching for pistons I'm sure. The tank may be garbage as I cant get the petcock off and there is a lot of rust inside. The carb cleaned up pretty good, I have to soak the valves a bit but they are working smooth now. I thnik it last ran in 1985 but cant be sure. I would just like to make it run, not looking to make a show piece out of it. Here is a pic of it..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8692567&id=524560211

hahnda
02-12-2010, 06:54 AM
I have +1.00 oversize pistons. $50 shipped for a pair, even to Canada.

I don't think you had an oil starvation problem, that would have caused some problems on the bottom also. Rust usually doesn't cause to much damage to the cylinder walls. Broken rings or a crunched piston or other broken bits against the cylinder walls can cause more serious damage.

If you do decide to give the 160 pistons a try the crank and rods will have no problem taking the extra size. 160 pistons will probably cost more than 150 pistons.

Kevin

Sam Green
02-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Good morning Derrick, first and formost, I wish the guy next door would give me a bike as complete as that.:D:D:D
The first thing you need to do is get rid of the excuse for silencers.
They are attached to the swingarm which moves up and down and the silencers shouldn't, don't ride it like that, you may damage your down pipes (headers).
Second, your bike is not a CA95. The CA95 (America) motor is a cross between a C95 (yours) and a CB95 (Japanese market). Don't worry to much on this as most parts interchange but not all.
The pistons are not a problem, get the ones of Kevin (good price shipped) and get your machine shop guy to check them out against your block.
If your block is too far gone, I'm sure I can find you a block that will suite for little $ plus shipping.
Fitting the CA95 pistons will give your motor a little more grunt as they are a little higher compression than the C95 ones.
In respect of the 160 pistons, I wouldn't use them unless you have to but they won't hurt your bottom end, I've been as high as 175cc with very high compression with no problems.
The plus 1mm CA pistons that Kevin has would make your motor 161cc anyway.

Sam.;)

hahnda
02-15-2010, 05:52 AM
Hey Sam,

Why isn't it a CA95? I see it as a '64 or later bike. I've never seen anything but a CA95 so I'm not much of an authority on the subject.

Kevin

Sam Green
02-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Hi Kevin, I didn't realise that the Canadian model was any different untill it came up in this thread on SOHC4.net.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=46104.25
The C95 has a two bearing crank, diferent head and cam, carb and gearbox.
I noticed that in the picture of Derricks bike, there is no hole in the top of the crankcase behind the cylinder block, plus tied to the fact that he's in Canada makes it a C95.

Sam.;)

hahnda
02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Things do make more sense when you read all the info! The things you learn about on a Monday.

65Honda
02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi Derrick,
I am a newbie and it seems we're nieghbours. (I live in Waterloo) Let me know if you find some good engine parts. I'm looking for the cam chain tensioner which doesn't seem to be readily available. Like your bike, mine is also a basket case. I also recently acquired descent 305 but haven't had a chance to get it running. Maybe once I have the 150 together......

Sam Green
02-23-2010, 02:15 AM
65honda, I can fix you up with a tensioner for just 10$ plus post if you're intrested. I also have a cylinder block that Derrick might want, would be good to ship them together being as you are only a few miles apart. let me know.

Sam.;)

65Honda
02-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi Sam,
$10 sounds good. I am open to a shipping arrangement with Derrick (hope I have his name right) or on my own. Thanks

Jim

Sam Green
02-24-2010, 12:34 AM
PM me your address Jim and I'll get it off to you at the weekend if I don't hear from Derrick. I'm not on line after Thursday so try to get back quick. (works computer) I'll be back on Monday.

Sam.;)

piperboast
02-24-2010, 11:59 AM
how much for the cylinders ?? and a guess for shipping ? whay size, condition etc...I have been away for a while and havnt had time to really go at my cylinders. I am considering the pistons from kevin but again havnt had time to find any rings. next week I will be back home and have more time to tinker...

Derrick

you got it right.. jim.

I saw a c95 I think on victoria st. sitting in front of a motel near roxannes.... looked like it had been there a while.. havnt been back to leave a note on it though..

hahnda
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
I am considering the pistons from kevin but again havnt had time to find any rings.

The pistons I have include rings, pins, and clips. $50 shipped.

Kevin

Sam Green
02-25-2010, 03:57 AM
Hi Derrick, $20 for the cylinder block, is that OK for you? I'll have to go to the post office for cost of shipping, I'll get separate prices for yours and Jims Items and a price for sending them together, see what works out best for you. I'll check what cylinders I've got nearest to Kevins pistons so as to make as few bore passes as needed.

Sam.;)

hahnda
02-25-2010, 06:18 AM
I have one pair of .50 over and a pair of 1.00 over. After that I'm done selling them I think. I need to keep some in my personal stash for future use.

65Honda
02-25-2010, 05:21 PM
I'll have to check out the bike on Victoria St. - not that I frequent the area (Roxannes is the local peeler bar)

Jim

Sam Green
03-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Hi Sam,
$10 sounds good. I am open to a shipping arrangement with Derrick (hope I have his name right) or on my own. Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim, postage is £2.90. PM me your address and I'll get it off to you.

Not so good news for Derrick, It's to expensive to send via the post office (£68):mad:. If you want to find your own carrier that's no problem with me.

Sam.;)