PDA

View Full Version : It runs!!! Video inside!

aaron7
12-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Found two air jets in the carb that I had missed (couldn't remove the screened section on the intake side) and cleaned them out.

We put the carb back on, hooked up our "gas tank", and it fired right up!

Two problems now though. First, the idle speed screw doesn't seem to do anything and it's stuck at a good ~4000rpm rev. If I touch the throttle it revs up, but not back down. The slide is NOT sticking. Must be an air leak somewhere.

Second, the pipes are full of mouse mess. It made a mess when we fired it up!

Oh, and it seems to be smoking but not oil... smoke is white and just smells like exhaust. Might be the stuff in the pipes burning.

Anyways, video here! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v245/aaron7/dream/?action=view&current=SSPX2596.flv

Not sure why it sounds like an airplane. Stupid cell phone!

Spokes
12-27-2009, 09:08 PM
I have a suggestion about the high idle. My restored (but now sold) CA95 had everything new as far as carb rebuild, new and lubed cables. Out of the blue when riding, the throttle stuck open.

I found that the slide in the handlebar was, how shall I say.."mushroomed"
and when I filed and sanded smooth the aluminum slide back to normal and reinstalled it, lubed it with some light gun oil, problem solved.

Just a suggestion

aaron7
12-28-2009, 06:03 AM
My slides in both the throttle and the carb are moving freely. I definately have an air leak somewhere. Sigh.

Spokes
12-28-2009, 06:27 AM
One more suggestion..then I'm out.

Try moving the center needle jet in the carb slide, down a notch.

Can't rule out the air leak, but that center needle is a jet as well.

aaron7
12-28-2009, 06:31 AM
Ohhh, I didn't think of that. That would definately make sense! I'll try it.