PDA

View Full Version : Your top speed and weight?

aaron7
09-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I know the weight part might be personal... but it definately plays a big factor in the top speed!

Obviously a different animal, but I hit 45 on flat ground on my '64 CT200; and that's only 90cc. This was on my GPS... I don't trust 45 year old speedometers :p

I'm hoping to be able to cruise at 50 on my CA95 but from what I'm reading that might not be possible.

I'm 190# btw. Lose some weight and I'll go faster lol

Smithers
09-15-2009, 05:19 PM
45-50mph shouldn't be a problem on level ground. Just air up those tires for lower rolling resistance!

aaron7
09-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Excellent. Getting tired of going 45 on a road and coming to a hill only to watch my speed drop below 40 and get tailgated when on my CT200 :/

Smithers
09-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Uh oh! I said on flat ground! : )
Now I'm considering porting and polishing the ports on mine. The bike just doesn't compare to my 160 for speed. We need to do something with these engines though. It's a shame. I've been helping a friend of mine completely rebuild and re-engineer some parts in a classic Ducati 250 2-stroke he's restoring. We've had new parts designed for the engine for durability and also to standardize them. Some of those parts are so crazy and one-off it boggles the mind. He's and engineer himself for a corporation and they have a full, modern machine shop available. I'm not going to get that crazy on the Benly 150 engine but I can see some areas for improvement.

I also have 2 CA95 carbs at another friends manufacturing company for inspection. I asked for the slides to be replated. I am thinking now that I should find some more modern carbs! Those poor things are just small and the materials to make them are just super inferior. I mean they have those new and cheap Chinese engines just cranking out power now and there has to be a carb from one of those companies that can be modified to work on our 150 engines without much trouble.

I really need to get to measuring the 160 vs 150 engines to compare. I think upgrading to the 160 engine is the answer for now. There are some huge upgrades that went on between the two. And the 160 engines seem to be available. But I don't have one of them to play around with. Mines too nice.

Finding a better exhaust system for the bikes is a great place to start. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for mufflers that won't be too annoyingly different. We could slap some cheap 2-stroke mufflers on them and that would work perfect but they just wouldn't look right.

aaron7
09-16-2009, 06:25 AM
I'd like to keep the overall appearance stock but don't mind modding the bike.

I did find a guy who would restore my carb for $130... but if I can get one that bolts up and is newer; I'd rather do that.

I can loan out parts if you need a guinea pig. My bike isn't going anywhere anytime soon haha

Smithers
09-16-2009, 06:44 AM
I won't have time to play with CA95 engines for a while still. I have 3 bikes that my friends want me to work on for them! And I'm planning to build an Aprilia Tuono from spare parts... and watching some insurance auctions cause I can probably get a damaged one for $500 :). Plus I have my truck I'm almost ready to start up! I miss playing with the little Hondas. Then I'm going to put new tires on my CB72 Superhawk and ride the crap out of it.

I need my truck to haul around motorcycles first! I got the perfect flat little motorcycle trailer ready to use too.
http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/1uz_tacoma/tacoma_1uzswap_119.jpg

aaron7
09-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Heh, I know how it is. I have those three bikes in my signature + my two car projects!

Hohlederschatten
09-16-2009, 11:02 AM
hmm, my 1977 Puch 50cc tops out around 25-30 on the roads behind my house.
in the field it will do a steady 20.

I know how it is with projects. i will not be able to start working on the Ca95 for awhile, the last race of the year is this Saturday and my car is leaking trans. fluid...

Smithers
09-16-2009, 02:53 PM
As long as the ol bike is running good you won't have any problem scooting around in normal traffic. Nothing to worry about. Uh oh, race car/ money pit. Look out. 1 race car = lots of motorcycles to play with. :)

Jetblackchemist
05-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Heres a handy dandy little calculator that has lots of little inputs ie weight/speed etc. with hp output, and many other calculations check it out... http://www.ajdesigner.com/phphorsepower/horsepower_equation_trap_speed_method_horsepower.p hp

Smithers
05-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Good chart! I know it's just a matter of calculation. They have those speed meter type units the plug into your lighter in your car or truck that give you an idea of what you are doing.... measures your 1/4 miles speed and as a result gives you your approximate HP. I consider these things purely entertainment value of course.

http://www.gtechpro.com/

Jetblackchemist
05-15-2011, 01:29 AM
When I switch over to 12v there is not going to be any doubts about me having a couple cigarette lighter plugs...lol one for smokes and one for accessories that thing sounds like it would be fun to plug in and see what the ol ca95 girl is up too :)

Biz
05-15-2011, 08:52 AM
My daughters KE100 2-stroke tops out at just over 60 mph. A little more than my first bike, a 1970 Yamaha 90 which would do about 55. Hoping to at least equal that on my CA95 once I get it running, and get a few mpg better too!

Jetblackchemist
05-15-2011, 07:53 PM
The attached photo's are exactly what my old Yamaha enduro looked like, it was just 100cc's no mods and I could peg it at 80...I suppose it was produced not long after Yamaha and Suzuki cracked the power of the MZ. and thats why it is a whole 50cc's less and could do what the 150 benly is supposed to top out at if lucky.

But I suppose its one of the cases where more cc's doesn't mean more power, just exactly what the definition means, more cubic centimeters of fluid displaced when it got dunked.

Isn't the ca95 motor supposed to weigh in at around 100lbs? Thats a big ol chunk o beefy metal to be dunking.

Biz
05-16-2011, 05:35 PM
part of the power difference is 2-stroke versus 4-stroke, the 2-strokes will always produce more hp for a given displacement. Cant beat twice as many power strokes per crank revolution.

Smithers
05-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Can't beat the smell and sound either!

Jetblackchemist
05-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Definitely not a bore n stroke :p