PDA

View Full Version : Removing tachometer bushing

GaryR
09-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm trying to remove the camshaft cover with the tachometer on it. Removed three screws but cover will only "wiggle", won't come out. Manual says remove bushing and gear but doesn't say how. I can rotate bushing with reverse pliers but it won't pull out, seems locked but can't see anything holding it. Exploded view doesn't shed any light. Does anyone know the secret?

Smithers
09-13-2009, 08:43 PM
I would bet that the pushing is pretty tight in there. The tach drive is for the CB's only right? Since the CA doesn't have a tach. They probably just capped it off for the CA models. I can't remember if I had to remove the gear out of there before my cover came off. I'll check my spare engine tomorrow and take a look.

GaryR
09-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Solved the puzzle. Last person installed the bushing improperly and had some metal pushed around at the back, so it would rotate but not slip out. Ended up cutting threads inside until we contacted the gear shaft which caused the bushing to force out. Now our question is; since the bike doesn't have a tach, do I really need the gear and the bushing?

Smithers
09-16-2009, 06:45 AM
It doesn't seem like you would need those parts in there. I don't think the shaft would flop around inside if you took them out. It might free up some power. : )

Hohlederschatten
10-18-2009, 07:48 PM
So is it possible to hook up a CB tach to our bikes?

Sorry if it's a stupid question...

Smithers
10-18-2009, 11:23 PM
I haven't seen one on a Benly 150 but I wouldn't be surprised if you could just thread a CB tach right on. I saw a Honda factory racing 1963 Benly 125 over the weekend. I was curious about the tachometer as well. :D

http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/honda/honda_cr93_tachdrive.jpg

Sam Green
01-19-2010, 06:32 AM
The early CA95 was fitted with a tach drive and you can't do away with it unless you change to the later head and camshaft.
Before removing the 3 screws that are visible, remove the cover where the cable would go in if a tach were in use.
Next, withdraw the worm (screw) that drives the cable, it just pulls out.
Then slide out the tube that the worm spins inside of, this section is on a keyway in the main housing, it should just slide out.
When these 2 components are removed, Remove the plug that gives access to the fourth holding screw which is inside the tacho drive body, this is just like the top screw on the cam end blanking plate of the later model with no tacho drive. remove all four holding screws using a long impacter on the internal one. If you damage this screw you've got problems.
The body should then pull away from the head but you will note that this tacho gearbox body is also the bearing for the camshaft and you are left with a gapeing hole in the side of your head.
When you rebuild this section, it's a good idea to replace the internal screw with an allen bolt, they are much easier to remove.
If you deceide to go with the later head and camshaft, send all your old parts to me and I will despose of them in a safe and humane manner at no cost to yourself.:D

Sam.;)