PDA

View Full Version : Carb needle settings for CA95

twinx1649
09-21-2014, 06:26 AM
I just rebuilt the fuel petcock and carb on my CA95. I was wondering where to start on the needle settings and where members have had the best success. The farthest forward Air Screw needle is almost all the way in (1/8 turn out) while the rear Throttle Stop is 6 turns out. This seems like a bigger difference than I've seen on others so I'm hoping my friends will weigh in on their settings.

Other news: I powder coated the tank black and after wet sanding/buffing it looks as good as any high gloss paint job. Unfortunately, the powder coating isn't as gas impervious as I hoped so I still need to run the fuel level about half full and keep a rag handy. I'm thinking about adding a short brass tube to the center of the gas cap but thought I'd ask here about what works best first.

Also, the inside of the tank cleaned up with boiling water and TSP. I slosh it around with a chain in the tank until it's clean then after many rinsed I run a bottle of rubbing alcohol through it followed by shop air to dry it out before rusting. I decided not to use tank liner this time because it looked pretty good when I got done so hopefully it will be good to go for the next ten years. Also, I've been adding STA-BIL Marine to minimize corrosion caused by Ethanol.

Thanks,
Jim Mc

Spokes
09-27-2014, 04:56 PM
The carb settings on these old bikes vary based on the slide needle setting, jetting, altitude, timing and compression. So any one members bike may have slightly different settings then another.

Basically if your bike idles low and smooth and your acceleration is smooth, then the settings you have now are good.

There are settings on your throttle slide needle. You may have the needle setting too lean and the carb settings are screwed out far to make up the difference of fuel and air. You have the option to move the little c clip on the slide needle valve down one notch and readjusting the carb settings. But again, if the bike runs well as it is, then OK (IMO)

twinx1649
09-29-2014, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I set the adjustments where it idled good and everything seems fine. I put some miles on it this weekend and it ran great.

I agree with adjusting throttle slide needle setting but it's running very strong so I think I will leave things as they are.

Additionally, I had good success removing the factory original clear coating from some of the aluminum pieces that were showing signs of oxidation. Basically, I used a fine wire wheel to remove the clear coating and then used a buffing wheel and solid compound to polish the aluminum. It turned out great and didn't take much time.