PDA

View Full Version : Just Picked Up a 1968 CA160

jspeedyjj
02-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Hi all,
Just picked up a 1968? CA 160. The title says original date of issue is 04-18-68 so im guessing its a 68 until i get the frame cleaned up a bit. Im new to the hobby and this will be my first resto of anything. Im excited to get my hands dirty and learn. From what ive seen so far this seems like the best forum for the vintage hondas.

I bought the bike completley torn down except for the motor that has been taken apart and completeley rebuilt. The seller gave me all the parts in a couple boxes and told me that everything is there. Im keeping my fingers crossed that he is right. I got the original title for the bike, a couple old registration and insurance papers i guess from the original owner/s. Looks like it was a 2 owner bike.

ill post some pics up as soon as can figure out how. :D

Spokes
02-14-2013, 03:00 AM
Cool. Below is a pic of a 68 Honda CA160 I built a couple of years ago. Welcome!
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=45&pictureid=574

kartgreen
02-14-2013, 04:13 AM
Welcome to the group ! Lots of info and more than enough knowledge among the members to give you a hand if you need it .

jspeedyjj
02-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Cool. Below is a pic of a 68 Honda CA160 I built a couple of years ago. Welcome!
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=45&pictureid=574

wow beautiful bike. I hope mine will look as good when im done with it. Thanks for the inspiration. ill look at your bike and build as my reference. do you have a play by play of a resto by any chance. would love to you it as a reference.

jspeedyjj
02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Welcome to the group ! Lots of info and more than enough knowledge among the members to give you a hand if you need it .

Thanks Kartgreen, im really excited to get started. I think this forum is what gave me the inspiration to take on a build/resto project. Im sure ill be taking lots of advantage of everyones knowledge on the forum. Thanks again.

jspeedyjj
02-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Date: 2-14-13
Just took some pics of the frame, motor, wheels, and took parts out of boxes that would need to be painted. Let me know if you see anything missing. I think for now its one of the covers not sure if its the battery cover or??. Everything seems to be in great condition but its still dirty so well see. Im going to have to get a manual for the bike and possibly clymers so i can identify parts that dont look familar. Im going to put all the pics thus far in the album so feel free to take a look.

All the advice is welcome

Spokes
02-14-2013, 06:37 PM
It looks like the battery side cover is missing. They are available in plastic(new & used) and metal (used). Both can be painted. Your lucky to have a complete chain guard.

jspeedyjj
02-15-2013, 01:13 PM
It looks like the battery side cover is missing. They are available in plastic(new & used) and metal (used). Both can be painted. Your lucky to have a complete chain guard.

Thanks Spokes, ill have to look for one. The seller told me if there were parts missing to call him as he probably has them. Im trying to get an inventory of missing parts before i give him a call. So far i know i need the both emblems and now the battery cover. How much should a paint job be for one of these bikes??

From what ive read in other posts the chain guard can be a pain to find so im very happy when i saw it complete and in pretty good shape.

Spokes
02-15-2013, 04:20 PM
The paint job cost varies. It's best to get an estimate. I do all of my own work and the cost of materials runs about $250-$300.

Although, I do take on the worst of the worst bikes as a challenge.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=73&pictureid=908

jspeedyjj
02-16-2013, 04:27 AM
I got an estimate yesterday for 250 but i thought that was very low. Ill have to call a couple other people.

do you know were i can get a parts and service manual? ive been searching and cant find one anywere i found one for the ca95. I realized from previous posts that you like the bucket cases/ the worst of the worst. Im not not advanced yet but hopefully one day.

jspeedyjj
02-16-2013, 05:09 AM
Just found a cheap battery from apex. Heres the link.. it says it compatable with the ca160 and its only 12.00 plus shipping.

http://www.apexbattery.com/honda-ca160-battery-sealed-lead-acid-batteries-honda-batteries.html

Spokes
02-16-2013, 07:14 AM
I get the almost exact fit battery from this seller on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NOS-Wisco-Battery-6N12-4A-JA-3-Honda-CA95-CA160-CB92-Rare-6-Volt-/160969948079?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D5636489128264257036%26pid%3 D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D160969948079% 26

This seller also has a good selection of replacement parts for the old Honda's.

The parts lists and manuals may be found on ebay, or perhaps another member has a link for a download. I sold my copies a couple of bikes ago and all I have left is a microfische parts list.

Check my albums under one of my CA160 titles. I have some copies of CA160 parts and a partial owners manual.

jspeedyjj
02-16-2013, 08:06 AM
thanks ill check him out. Is the apex battery not good or not a good fit? I looked at your albums before i got the bike and printed the pages out. Ill have to ask around and maybe ill get lucky for the link. Im on a limited budget and 30 dollars for clymers is 30 less i would have to spend on the bike.

Smithers
02-16-2013, 08:13 AM
I highly recommend the original style one. Looks way better and you won't have to modify the cables ends. :) I would like to do a cranking test with both batteries just for fun. But I haven't brought myself to buy an SLA for any of my bikes. The only ones that I have seen work comparably are more money.

jspeedyjj
02-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Just found another piece i need. I think its the engine chain cover? i also need both exhaust. mine have small holes in the bottom. ill try to get some pics up.

jspeedyjj
02-16-2013, 10:18 AM
I highly recommend the original style one. Looks way better and you won't have to modify the cables ends. :) I would like to do a cranking test with both batteries just for fun. But I haven't brought myself to buy an SLA for any of my bikes. The only ones that I have seen work comparably are more money.

sounds good to me, ill just ordered it now to get it out of the way. thanks. Yeah i dont blame you, i would rather spend the money on the bikes.

jspeedyjj
02-16-2013, 03:28 PM
just found some parts i cant identify can anyone help me out?

jspeedyjj
02-16-2013, 03:33 PM
a couple more...

ByTheLake
02-17-2013, 06:42 AM
just found some parts i cant identify can anyone help me out?My experience is with the CA95, but it's close enough.

You'll want to download a parts manual - it'll prove invaluable with your project. I took these images from the CA95 parts manual.

The part labelled "1" is a plate over the top of the fork:
http://www.forths.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/part1.jpg

The part labelled "2" is the rear brake torque link:
http://www.forths.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/part2.jpg

Not sure on the part labelled "4" - could that be the rear swing arm mounting bolt? Smithers or Spokes would know for certain.

The part labelled "5" looks like a condenser. Not sure if the CA160 mounted it any differently than the CA95, but it likely mounts near the ignition points.

The part labelled "6" is the rear brake light switch:
http://www.forths.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/part3.jpg

ByTheLake
02-17-2013, 06:55 AM
a couple more...Ok ... let's see.

The part labelled "7" threads over the fork mount, under the plate you have labelled as part "1" above.

http://www.forths.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/part4.jpg

The part labelled "8" appears to be the spacer that mounts on the rear axle, opposite side of the sprocket.

http://www.forths.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/part5.jpg

Not sure about the last two parts you have listed.

jspeedyjj
02-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Thank you sooooo much, thats a great help. i have been looking for a download of the manual but cant seem to find one anywere, i have the ca95 but not the ca160. If i can get through this resto i will do a ca95 next, im keeping my fingers crossed. Im just glad i have you guys to help me out..:)

Im taking the bike to the painter hopefully on monday or tuesday, i think im going to go traditional white for this one as its the original color but i was thinking of going for bmw's Laguna Seca Blue, maybe the next time. i put a pic of the color i want to match.

Ok ... let's see.

The part labelled "7" threads over the fork mount, under the plate you have labelled as part "1" above.

http://www.forths.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/part4.jpg

The part labelled "8" appears to be the spacer that mounts on the rear axle, opposite side of the sprocket.

http://www.forths.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/part5.jpg

Not sure about the last two parts you have listed.

Larzfromarz
02-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Welcome JSpeedy- You'll have blast here and learn a bunch as well- Don't worry about whether CA95 or CA160. You'll learn to spot the subtle differences but realize soon they are brother bikes.
Oh and I see why you chose white......

jspeedyjj
02-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks Larzfromarz
I have already learned so much and having a blast. Wish i had the tools to do the work faster. its a pain to try and clean parts that are tarnished. Ive been scrubbing away at the rear plates that hold up the shocks. they are dirty and a lil scuffed up and dont want to get cleaned..grrrr

lol whats wrong with the blue?? To loud?

Welcome JSpeedy- You'll have blast here and learn a bunch as well- Don't worry about whether CA95 or CA160. You'll learn to spot the subtle differences but realize soon they are brother bikes.
Oh and I see why you chose white......

jspeedyjj
02-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Does anyone had a pdf download of a manual for this bike?

Larzfromarz
02-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Do a search of a the current threads I think somebody just posted again.
I like non stock colors too- I think this bike will be tu-tone, something over cream- trying to decide on dark or bright for the top color.:cool:

jspeedyjj
02-17-2013, 10:47 AM
ill search again for it. What bike is that? i dont recognize the front fender? I like the solo seat, i think i want to put a solo seat on mine.

Spokes
02-17-2013, 12:45 PM
#3 pic, that rusty white bracket...not a ca160 part....

Larzfromarz
02-17-2013, 02:18 PM
That's a Ca95 and no that is not a stock, wrong size, just being stored there fender.
That's just a mock up on the seat, I've abandoned that approach in favor of a better riding position.

jspeedyjj
02-17-2013, 03:36 PM
just got my frame # CA160-1007083

jspeedyjj
02-17-2013, 04:28 PM
#3 pic, that rusty white bracket...not a ca160 part....

thanks spokes

jspeedyjj
02-17-2013, 04:29 PM
That's a Ca95 and no that is not a stock, wrong size, just being stored there fender.
That's just a mock up on the seat, I've abandoned that approach in favor of a better riding position.

ive been reading about riding position with the solo seat. im 5'7. now im going to have to mock one up to test it out.

jspeedyjj
02-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Heres one for you spokes just found it on ebay, looks like its right up your alley.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK-60S-HONDA-DREAM-/261170885696?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3cceff7440

Smithers
02-17-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm speechless. That ebay deal is a little too much for me. I'll take that blue and grey beauty in the background though. :)

Spokes
02-18-2013, 03:56 AM
That would be a "Spokes" challenge for sure. But it's not worth much more than $300. Only keeping to one restoration at a time, so I will let this one pass.

jspeedyjj
02-21-2013, 07:29 AM
will a ca200 battery cover fit the ca160?

Larzfromarz
02-21-2013, 08:38 AM
The exhaust actually has factory weep holes for water to drain.The bottoms and seems like the left side get the most abuse, so you may still have extra holes.
The CA 160 has both an inner and outer chain front chain covers ( the rear one is in that pic too) covers A & B,
04 COVER B, DRIVE CHAIN 11655-225-000
04 COVER A, DRIVE CHAIN 11661-225-000
found at Western Hills Honda (http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.com/fiche_section_detail.asp)
I'll look to see if I've got one- and post later.

jspeedyjj
02-21-2013, 02:28 PM
ordered the exhaust from jc whitney, great price and free shipping. I hope they fit and arent to loud.

jspeedyjj
03-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Does anyone know were i can source some of the nuts,bolts, screws for the bike. I just realized the po didnt give me 80% of the the screws nuts or bolts washers etc..or does anyone have a bin of stuff they dont need? I cant touch the bike till i get some stuff. Does anyone have or know of a video for rebuilding the carb?

ByTheLake
03-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Well, in this thread (http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=1836&highlight=japanese+industrial+standard), it was described that Honda's change-over from JIS to ISO metric threads was "effective from the start of production of all new motorcycle models first produced after the beginning of 1967." I believe the CA160 went into production in 1966, so I really don't know whether your 3mm, 4mm, 5mm and 12mm fasteners are old JIS or newer ISO pitches.

That said, are you interested only in NOS original fasters, or will you accept new fasteners? If you learn that you have standard ISO pitches, you can buy fasteners from Bolt Depot (http://www.boltdepot.com), or similar on-line sources. If you try Bolt Depot, scroll down a bit and you'll see "Metric Fasteners" on the left margin.

If you have older JIS threads, then you'll either have to find NOS or used fasteners for any 3mm, 4mm, 5mm and 12mm fasteners. For other sizes such as 6mm, the new ISO metric fasteners will work.

jspeedyjj
03-07-2013, 08:13 PM
thanks BTL ill check, how do i find out what type i need? My bike is one of the early production models. i just got some from ebay. the seller said he took apart a ca160 and these were all the screws that came off the bike. Im hoping they are the right ones.

jspeedyjj
03-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Can anyone recommend a good source for petcock and carb kits? Im getting my bike back tomorrow from the painters, ill post pics when i get it. Thanks to Larzfromarz i should be getting my wiring harness back by the weekend.

this is the only petcock kit i found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271168449675?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Larzfromarz
03-08-2013, 05:47 AM
You may find that your headaches are fewer if you get the conversion plate to switch to a standard type petcock.

jspeedyjj
03-08-2013, 07:43 PM
You may find that your headaches are fewer if you get the conversion plate to switch to a standard type petcock.

What would be a good decently priced petcock as a replacement?

Is the this the conversion plate for the petcock?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Petcock-CA95-CA77-CA72-CA160-CA-95-77-72-160-Dream-Benly-150-250-305-ADAPT-/271167465590?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3ACA&hash=item3f22d72876&vxp=mtr

Larzfromarz
03-09-2013, 05:49 AM
Yep thats the one...

ByTheLake
03-09-2013, 06:12 AM
I used that petcock conversion kit on my CA95, worked well. In case the original 5mm JIS petcock screws are in rough shape, the kit contains instructions to drill out the 5mm threads and re-tap the hole with standard ISO 6mm threads, which is what I did.

The kit worked well, and while I try to stick with original-type parts, the modern petcock doesn't look out of place. (I still have to swap out that hideous yellow fuel line, though)

http://www.forths.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/petcock.jpg

jspeedyjj
03-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks, ill order one now.

jspeedyjj
03-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Got all the parts back last night from the painters and looks really good, im waiting for my clymers but in the meantime i put some parts together that look easy.

I cant figure out how to get the front fender to go in without scratching the whole fender. is it suppose to just slide in or does it need a lil finess or a trick someones got before i force it in?

jspeedyjj
03-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Just took a couple pics of painted items and Wiring harness ( thanks to Larzfromarz for helping me out with the harness, If anyone needs help he's your man).

My clymers manual should come today so ill be making more progress.

ByTheLake
03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
I really like white on these bikes. Looking forward to seeing it assembled.

Larzfromarz
03-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Hey That should be a looker and pretty soon. I wasn't aware you were so far along-Good job!
L

jspeedyjj
03-12-2013, 06:45 AM
I really like white on these bikes. Looking forward to seeing it assembled.

I like the white also, glad i didnt go for a custom color.

jspeedyjj
03-12-2013, 06:50 AM
Hey That should be a looker and pretty soon. I wasn't aware you were so far along-Good job!
L

Thanks Larz,
ive hit a road block as i dont have alot of the hardware for the bike. I have learned to not buy a bike that has already been taken apart. I bought some stuff on ebay and im waiting for it to get here so i can see what i have and dont after a good soak in evapo rust.

jspeedyjj
05-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Ive made slow progress but I got my rear wheel on and front fork together and almost have a roller. I bought a parts bike on ebay for 250 with a spare motor and got it delivered from NH today. I posted some pics. Im hoping to take the parts I need off to complete my bike, but now that I look at it I think its to nice to part out. The exhaust pipes are pretty good except for one dent on the left side that im hoping to be able to knock out a bit. How hard is it to get a title or register a bike that only came with a bill of sale? Does anyone know about NYS Law?

jspeedyjj
05-13-2013, 04:10 AM
Does anyone have a trick for getting the brake wires through the slot in the rear fender? I can thread it through.

Spokes
05-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Thread some solid wire through the channel. Attach your tail light wiring to the solid wire, solder works well. Then pull the wire through. You can also take regular wire and thread the wire from the bottom up. Then attach your tail light wire and pull it through.

jspeedyjj
05-14-2013, 04:53 AM
Thread some solid wire through the channel. Attach your tail light wiring to the solid wire, solder works well. Then pull the wire through. You can also take regular wire and thread the wire from the bottom up. Then attach your tail light wire and pull it through.

thanks Spokes, the trick worked great. Now my problem is getting the spring to stretch out far enough to attach to the kickstand. Any suggestions?

Spokes
05-14-2013, 08:25 AM
The kickstand spring is tough. I attach the spring before the swing arm is installed. The best hardest way (pun intended) is to remove the mufflers (so the kickstand swings as high as possible) and use a greased flat screwdriver to leverage the spring onto the peg. Wear gloves whle doing this trick...

jspeedyjj
05-19-2013, 05:45 AM
The kickstand spring is tough. I attach the spring before the swing arm is installed. The best hardest way (pun intended) is to remove the mufflers (so the kickstand swings as high as possible) and use a greased flat screwdriver to leverage the spring onto the peg. Wear gloves whle doing this trick...

I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the swing arm apart. Im going to work on this today and will let you know how it goes maybe try to get some pics up. You don't by any chance have a list of items I should go through to build the bike kinda like a step 1 etc... I wish I had made one up for the next resto.

Spokes
05-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Sorry, I've never considered putting together a build procedure for these bikes. You should be able to get the spring on without taking the swing arm off. But next time remember to put the kickstand 1st when assembling the bike. Good luck

Larzfromarz
05-20-2013, 05:07 AM
A procedure would be nice but each bike is a different soul with different needs. In any case success can be found (usually) by breaking the bike down into smaller projects (smaller goals, more frequent "wins", keeps up the motivation).
I just love the journey of building bikes...