PDA

View Full Version : Project #3 1966 CA160

Spokes
01-18-2012, 12:11 AM
New CA160 Start.

Spokes
01-18-2012, 12:13 AM
New Project. Just off of eBay. Putting out shipping bids from Missouri to Georgia. I'm starting to think about color and build needs.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=723

Smithers
01-18-2012, 02:15 AM
The CA160 engine is a nice one. Looking forward to watching the build!

Larzfromarz
01-26-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm glad you're building just ahead of me-you might be able to answer all of MY questions-
Are you going to post as you build? It would be great to follow along and you seem to be a respectable type of fellow. Looking forward to progress
Larz

Spokes
01-26-2012, 08:18 PM
1-26-2012

Thanks Larz. This is my 3rd CA160 build, so feel free to ask any question! Go to my album and check out my previous CA160 build. I have some parts blow up from a book as well as some scanned pages from the owners manual.

Below is my 3rd CA160, delivered today from Missouri. The shot is after a good wash and removing a real nasty chain and loose upper chain guard.

http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=725

Much work is needed. The rims are bent, front fender bent, seat wasted, handlebars bent, footpegs bent.....real nasty...right down my alley! What is amazing is that the front tire, with the thin whitewall is nearly perfect and the tank hase some minor light surface rust with a clean petcock. I will begin to disassemble the bike soon.

Larzfromarz
01-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Bent or not it cleaned up better than the one I'm starting with. Believe me I looked at your burgundy bike lustfully. I'm planning on a deep (near black) green w/maybe a hint of pearl- unless other bikes get in the way.:D

Spokes
01-28-2012, 09:29 PM
1-29-2012

It looks like this bike has sat idle since 1982. I base this fact by the last inspection sticker on the forks is dated 1981. From the road rash, bent footpegs and left muffler being beat up, it looks like it was dumped rather hard. I think the engine is OK for now. I base an early assessment of the engine condition on what the engine oil looks and smells like. If the oil smells like what you would expect dirty oil to smell like, that's good. If the drained oil has a real pungent, almost repulsive smell, then the oil may have gone acidic, which can cause rust in the crankshaft bearings. In my case I think I'm OK. I filled the cylinders with a good amount of PB Blaster and 2 cycle oil, then cycled the pistons with the kickstarter...slowly. Another trick I do with long standing old CA160 (and CA95) engines is after the draining of the old oil, I refill the crankcase to the top with inexpensive regular motor oil (any weight..any kind..price rules) and cycle the motor again with the kick starter. I drain off the whole load of oil and check for any bits or aluminum. Again in my case, I think I'm OK. Before removing the motor I loosened the side cover screws with my hand impact screwdriver.

The wiring harness is brittle. I had to cut the wires as there was no way to pull the connectors apart. I have a spare wiring harness that will work. This build will be a little easier. A few months ago I bought a rechargable impact wrench and it was a great help with long rusted bolts.

Larzfromarz
01-29-2012, 08:48 AM
I've found my Dewalt impact driver to be an excellent help as well.

Spokes
02-05-2012, 08:40 PM
The bike is almost 100% disassembled. The side covers are off the engine and my inspection scope/camera shows no noticable damage in the crankcase or what I can see in the cylinders. The rear axle nut had to be cut off and there is much rust. Nothing that can't be removed by chemistry and/or sandblasting.

I bought the missing body parts except the lower chain case. I forgot to try to fit my extra complete CA95 chain case. I know that you cannot mix n match ca95 and CA160 chain cases. In the meantime I will wait until a lower chain case for the CA160 comes up on eBay. I did salvage the original thin whitewall front tire. I will offer it up to the forum before listing it on eBay. It would be good for show but not a daily driver.

Spokes
02-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Still degreasing the engine. The engine side covers, starter and clutch basket and diske have been removed. I may have to install the side covers and plug the ports and have it power washed. 30 years of sitting has some dirt/grease caked on the case hard.

The metal parts will go th the sandblaster soon. One thing I plan to do for this build, unlike any build in the past is to install new multiple wire haness plugs. I want to avoid questioning the electrical connections should the bike not start....

Spokes
03-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Finally have all of the missing sheetmetal parts. Found the handlebars and the rare carb cover. I still have to get to the sandblaster. I need to buy some two part automotive primer to prime the parts as soon as the parts return. I may also have to phosphate the bare metal before painting as rust season here in the south is in the summer..

Spokes
04-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Been collecting more parts. I am going to do this build a little different than the others.

I had a change of heart about painting before assembling. I plan to reassemble the bike as is, with the exception of cleaning, lubricating and making sure the bike is mechanically sound. This way I can make all of the adjustments and repairs and not have to worry about the paint. The tires, tubes and rim strips are on order. The starter motor which was really corroded was cleaned up and put back together. I'm not sure if it's going to work. If not, I will get one off of ebay. I also found a set (actually I bought 3 sets) of Buco Twinmaster saddlebags with the hangers. I plan to wire them up along with turn signals.

I plan to try a couple of biker experiments.

I am building drag handlebars. Using new bars with salvaged handlebar ends from the original damaged set. Then building the controls.

I have a ca95 chain guard. I bought a ca95 swing arm and I will try to retro fit the guard. Not sure I wil be able to do this. I should start having pics within a couple of weeks.

Spokes
05-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Here is a shot of the bike as it sits today 5-1-2012
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=806

This build is going to be a long one as the bike needs much work. I will build it on the bench as far as I can go. More pics to come.

Spokes
05-05-2012, 06:29 AM
5-5-2012

One of the most rarest of parts is a chain guard for the CA160. The fact is that the CA95 chain guard may not fit the 160. For sure a CA95 top chain guard will not match a CA160 bottom chain guard. The pic below is the answer.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=807

I installed a late model CA95 swing arm and a CA95 chain guard on my CA160 and it fits perfect. Also in the pic is a CA95 fender brace that I will mount turn signals on.

Larzfromarz
05-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Wish I'd have heard your troubles I've got one you could have had. But as smart as you are you've got it figured out-:D

Spokes
05-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks Larz. I'm really not so smart. I have built several of these bikes and just know what fits what...

Time Stamp 5-27-2012
I have finally got the engine to pristine clean. I regret not having a dedicated camera for just these kinds of builds. I am now convinced this bike sat in a shed since 1982. The engine was caked with dirty oil, grease and mud wasp nests. The red mud was like concrete. I cleaned the engine with brushes, scrapers and solvents to a point of the engine just stained. The guys at the plant offered to steam clean it. That was the ticket. Using industrial cleaner with plant boiler pressure steam brought out the aluminum. At this point I am at the crossroads of painting the engine or not.

As of now, the new chrome rims are in. I am waiting on the chrome spokes, drive chain and a few misc. parts. I have polished the rear hub and need to complete the front hub. After polishing and clear coating I will install new sealed bearings. The bike actually came with an early CA95 tank. I have cleaned and removed the light rust. I may swap tanks with the "Build from Scratch" as, believe it or not, it has a nice CA160 tank. I have also started the sheet metal work like reforming the front fender flair. I estimate that sometime in July I will have the bike together enough for Sheriff Inspection, then I will tear down the bike for paint. I am pretty sure the color will be white...but I have been known to change my mind at the last minute..

Larzfromarz
05-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Might I suggest maybe video taping or at least bunches of pics when you lace your wheels. I like following your work and I think others do as well. Whats a little video? wink wink...

On another note, I hear rumors of a central Florida show sponsored by VJMC, sometime later in the year, should I post details as they come up? and you should find a way to come down if it happens.:eek:

Spokes
06-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I would like to make it to a VHMC event someday.

The handlebars and controls that came with the bike were wasted. I wanted to do something different for this build, that is, I want a vintage Honda external throttle assembly and matching controls.

Below is a pic of Honda CA95 bars that were bent. I cut the throttle end off and welded a left hand end from another set of wasted CA95 bars. This gives me the wire holes in the right place. I found a set of controls from a CA92, complete but needed to be restored.

Here is a pic of the bars tonight 6-11-2012. I will begin to restore the CA92 controls soon.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=813

Spokes
06-15-2012, 08:17 PM
One of the most damaged items on this bike was the wheels. I was only able to salvaged the hubs.

Below is a pic of the cleaned,polished and clear coated hubs, with new sealed wheel bearings, laced to new stock wheels with chrome spokes. Soon the new blackwall Firestones will be installed.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=815

Larzfromarz
06-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Nice.

Smithers
06-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Oh man those wheels are so nice now. Very good.

Spokes
06-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Time Stamp 6-30-2012

All the body parts are back from the sandblaster. I would post a pic, but bare steel parts is all you would see. The engine has been painted two tone. The case is a bluish silver and the cylinders have been painted with high temp silver header paint. I have removed the points housing and tappet covers. They will be polished and clear coated with heat resistant clear. I should have the engine assembled this month along with the newly painted frame and metal. Hopefully by the end of July the bike will be on its own wheels.

Spokes
07-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Time stamp 7-7-2012

Painting has begun. Below is a pic of the first parts being painted. The parts have been sandblasted and phosphated.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=830

The engine has been cleaned and painted as well......
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=831

I decided that I was going to paint the engine two tone. The case is a heat resistant, clear coated silver blue with header silver cylinders. The engine will be completed in a week or so.

The bike will be painted Corvette Artic White.

I might add that the tail light bracket has been customized. Masked off is chrome "L" backets (welded in place)that will hold her bullet light rear turn signals.

Spokes
07-08-2012, 04:08 AM
The first assembly of this build is a reality. The rear turn signals.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=832

Spokes
08-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Time Stamp 8-9-2012

The red, rusty, beat up 66 CA160 is now being reassembled in white. The sheetmetal parts have been sandblasted, repaired and painted. The bike reassembly is done in one of my extra bedrooms for now. I wanted to add turn signals at the tail light. Wiring next. To make the wiring easier, the engine wiring and harness connections will be a multi wire plug.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=864

Larzfromarz
08-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Lookin good White Knight One, you are cleared to enter the pattern.

Smithers
08-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Great colors. I like how the engine came out.

Spokes
08-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Time Stamp 8-12-2012

Spent some time this weekend putting the bike together. This is how she looks today.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=865

This week I will add many small parts and mount the engine. Maybe next Saturday or Sunday fire it up and take a ride around the lake. I will post a video on youtube and let the forum know when it's posted.

Spokes
08-16-2012, 04:59 PM
8-16-2012

Motor installed this evening.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=866

Spokes
08-30-2012, 07:38 PM
The straightened and custom welded handlebars with the original chrome, Rebuilt controls, mounted and wired front turnsignals have been installed. The handlebar mounting bolts have been deburred and polished. The tops of the bolts have been blued. I will add small dots on the blueing to resemble dice.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=887

Larzfromarz
08-31-2012, 03:56 AM
Spokes, while I'm sure you've checked are are any clearance issue between those winkers and the tank?

Spokes
08-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Yes, they clear the tank on all 5 of my builds and several adds on other bikes

Spokes
09-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Time Stamp 9-3-2012

Got the bike started today for about 1 minute. The engine is good...after 30 years sitting. The tank and original petcock is fuel tight. I had to set the timing and rebuilt the carb. I made one assumption. I thought the float in the bowl was good. Wrong. The float was bent and dented. I tried all of my tricks and could not save it. The next entry will be made after the new float arrives.

Smithers
09-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Someone must have stepped on it at some point. :( I've never seen a bad float.

Spokes
09-05-2012, 06:22 PM
As soon as my new float arrives I will break apart the carb again and take a pic of the damaged float. The bikes I get have been in barns or outside in the rain and snow for decades. My guess is at some point water got into the carb and froze and thawed for years. It took every trick in my book to salvage the carb and restore it back to like new. Pic soon.

Spokes
09-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Installed the new float and adjusted. Set the timing, Slugged some oil in the cylinders to increase the compression and then ran the bike several times around the lake.

I needed to open the side case and clean and sand the clutch plates. I also cleaned the discs. The clutch got super stiff after a short ride. I think that something was in the crankcase that glued the clutch plates...even after I cleaned everything before putting the side covers back on.

The bike runs sweet. The engine had not run in 30yrs.

Below is a pic from today. A few more parts need to go on and she will be ready for plates.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=894

Spokes
09-23-2012, 01:48 PM
9-23-2012

The bike is finished. I will install a white seat as soon as the cover is delivered. Then the last item to be installed is the tank badges.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=901

The bike sports a CA95 swing arm & chain guard, an external CB92 throttle, a rebuilt headlight and a CA95 tank. The bars and speedometer were repaired as well.

It has come a long way since May.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=807

Larzfromarz
09-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Don't forget the plastic caps on the fork. Just keep cranking 'em out Spokes, you do the nicest work...

Spokes
09-26-2012, 05:16 PM
I thought it was going to be a happy ending...(only a postponed happy ending) For those who are following this thread, I would like to remind you that I do this for a hobby. This build was an experiment. I decided to restore the bike first and then see if the engine was any good. I figured that if the engine was bad, all I need to do was to drop the engine, which is as clean as new, and repair what ever was wrong with it. Meanwhile, the bike remains complete.

As in the thread up to now, I got the engine running using every trick I know. I ran the bike into town for some pics. Engine ran well. On the way back the engine missed fired, but kept running. Once home I ordered new spark plugs figuring that I may have ruined the plugs while trying to get the engine started.

Monday afternoon I thought I would take it to work. The engine started instantly. Out the driveway, 1st gear, 2nd gear....PING!!!!!!! Dead motor. Starter clicked...The kick starter would not budge the engine.....

The engine will be off soon and broken down. My inspection camera shows no internal damage looking from the bottom up. No loose parts or slivers in the drain oil pan. For kicks & grins, my guess is a broken piston, I will post pics soon.

These problems don't bother me. It's a hobby and as I feel about life, it's all about the journey.

Larzfromarz
09-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Another learning opportunity right? You can't take this hobby too seriously or it sucks the fun right out it.
I advise folks all of the time these are no longer your "daily drivers" for the most part and should not be anyone's sole form of transportation (some want that).

None the less, I anxiously await your post-mortem. Hit me up I have at least one good used piston in std bore if needed.

How bout we start a pool regarding the cause and split the winnings with your charity?
I say cam chain... for $5.00 ;)

Spokes
09-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the bet idea. I'm not sure if its the cam chain. I can see with my scope thst the cam chain is tight in the crankshaft. I may know this evening what happened.

Spokes
09-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Sure glad I did not bet. Another learning opportunity indeed.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=902

The advance is wiped out. Since I've pulled the engine, I am going to tear down the top half to check out the cylinders and valves. It will be fun to see what everything looks like after getting this motor to run after so many years.

Spokes
09-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Pulled the head this evening. It also appears that the engine oil never made it to the cam shaft. The index pin for the advance is bent to distortion, the cam lobes are grooved and the rocker assemblies are deeply worn.

Oddly enough, the cylinders are super clean. The pistons show lots of blow-by.

At this point I ponder saving the engine or parting it out. These decisions take some step-back-relax time.

Spokes
10-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Step Back Relax Time Over.

Larzfrommars sent me the cam and rockers I needed. (Thanks!) Gasket kit, oil spinner end cap are found and ordered. I will build the motor back to health. But before I complete the job I will check the oil circulation 1st before completing assembly.

Spokes
10-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Motor built & done. Ready to install.

Steverinomeiste
10-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Hi 160 owners,
This is Steve from the CA95 forum. All this time and I've never been over here to the 160 area. I was looking over here because I wanted to compare the CB160 engine to the CA160 engine. At a quick glance it looks like one big difference is one carb verses two. This is a beautiful bike Spokes. Do you have any youtube of it in it's finished state?

Larzfromarz
10-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Hey Steve,
The 160cc engine seems a little more stout than the the 150cc. The engines come with one carb in the CA160 version (the same basic bike as the Ca95) but the twin carb version comes on the CB/CL160. Ask anybody which they'd prefer and they usually come down in favor of the 160cc. The major difference mechanically is the cam is run from the outboard side of the head on the 150. The 160 has the cam chain between the cylinders.

Spokes
10-29-2012, 04:09 PM
I should have some youtube footage once the bike is put together. You see, I had an issue with the oil spinner that made me loose oil pressure to the upper half. In addition a screw worked loose and locked up the cam. In hind sight, it was a blessing. Larz set me up with the replacement parts I needed. Much thanks again Larz.

What would be real cool is to put a CB160 engine in a CA160 or CA95 frame. You would have to swap out the top engine mount of the CB160 engine with a mount from a CA160. Then install a CB 160 throttle assembly. The Wire harness from the CA160 would power the CB160 engine. The carbs would be close to the body and the side covers would have to be modified I think.

This kind of mod would make the CA160 a screemer....

Spokes
11-04-2012, 10:48 AM
11-4-2012

Bike is back together. Started right up. Runs smooth. Working on the white seat cover today. Pretty soon the project will be complete.

Spokes
11-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Here is the video of the finished bike for ebay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL_YQiMQdqY

Steverinomeiste
11-19-2012, 10:34 PM
This is beautiful Spokes. I think it is the prettiest baby dream I've seen. It seems like you just got it, you must work fast.
Steve

Larzfromarz
11-20-2012, 04:47 AM
Nicely done Spokes... Should look nice under somebodies tree this year!
And At least I know to keep my bike off of eBay for few weeks...
L

Spokes
12-05-2012, 04:06 AM
It's the end of the line today for this project. The bike was sold on ebay and will find its new home in Michigan. The new owner also has a 66 CB160. So he has a pair of 1966 160's...Very Cool.

The current project is the 64 Honda CA95 "Indiana"

Larzfromarz
12-05-2012, 04:43 AM
Congrats, the new owner should be very happy!

ByTheLake
12-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Absolutely gorgeous. White is my favorite color for these old Dream-styled Honda machines. It just looks so elegant, especially with the white seat. Add some white Buco-style hard bags to this and I may sell my wife's car to buy it :-)

As always, nicely done Chip.

Spokes
12-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks, and just to tempt you....(LOL) I am working on a set of Buco twinmaster bags, jet black, with custom inlayed bushings and upgraded mounts, visored lights...and a set of extremely custom Buco Twinmaster Bags with the lights removed and fiberglassed to give a one of a kind bullet bag look. I have a set of hngers for the dream ..and looking to fab less expensive hangers for Buco Bags. Feb-March finish time frames...

Kartgreen has a set of my custom Buco bags on his red CA95 (the mac daddy set with the external wiring using the fender trim as the condui).

tman
12-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Can anyone tell me the exact year and model of this bike. I owned it in 1966 and 1967. I'm pretty sure it was slightly used when I bought it from a Honda dealer near Utica, NY.I think it was a 160cc. This is the only photo that I have of it. Wish I still had it.

Larzfromarz
12-10-2012, 06:32 AM
Hi TMan. Without vin numbers nobody would know exactly the year. It IS a CA95 the 150cc Benly and not the 160cc Touring. You are in the right place for both and the bikes share many commonalities. They are plentiful with one member Spoke just selling a nicely redone bike similar to the photo. While wonderful little gems, they are not particularly rare and other than personal resources there is no real reason not to have one. I get the most joy building them, some others from riding. The best part are the looks you get from others though, always smiles......
And yes the bike in the pic is likely a 65 or 66. The title may be different than the actual year it was produced.

Spokes
12-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Larz is correct. You can get an idea of the year by looking at the engine number. ca95e-5xxxxxxx would be a 65 ca95e-4xxxxxx would be a 64

The frame number is at the rear of the toolbox cover near the bottom by the wheel.

tman
12-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Thanks guys. It must have been a 1964 CA95 150cc Benly as you say. I am currently working on a CA160, 1966. The last time I rode it about a month ago, it ran fine for a antique. Not sure I would drive it on a highway, but it sure is fun to have around. I'm really excited to see how it looks with the new white walls installed.