PDA

View Full Version : New guy w/intro and Q on Honda Benly

Groucho
09-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I had several motorcycles over the yrs but gave up after the helmet law of the early 90's. However, I've been itching for an old bike. Maybe a 60's Bonneville or Honda Dream.....
Anyway, I have a shot at a 63 Honda Benly. Real art deco looking little 150. I haven't ridden it yet, but i know it smokes, and it wobbles above 45 MPH in the front end. My questions

1-What might the wobble be (it has new tires)?

2-He says they're kinda known for smoking...true/false?

3-How do you check the oil?

Thanks guys. If I left something out, go ahead and rip me a new one....but then answer the questions
Groucho is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Spokes
09-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Welcome!

1.) The wobble is A.) Loose front suspension mount B.) Bad lower control arm bushings C.) Loose control arms D.) loose axle E.) Bad wheel bearings.

2.) The reason they are "known for smoking" is that they are old engines and most likely have 10K or more miles on them. Some engines sat for a long time and were restarted with dry cylinders and/or stuck rings. I would ride around town with a light oil burner, but nice new valves, guides, pistons and gaskets will solve your oil burn issue.

3.) Unscrew the dipstick, wipe the stick dry and insert loosely (don't screw in) The oil should register to the top of the flat end of the stick. The crank holds 950ml when completely drained and the oil filter cleaned out. Overfilling the case will cause oil burning.

Get the front end corrected. It's not worth the risk of injury not to do so.

Groucho
09-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Welcome!

1.) The wobble is A.) Loose front suspension mount B.) Bad lower control arm bushings C.) Loose control arms D.) loose axle E.) Bad wheel bearings.

2.) The reason they are "known for smoking" is that they are old engines and most likely have 10K or more miles on them. Some engines sat for a long time and were restarted with dry cylinders and/or stuck rings. I would ride around town with a light oil burner, but nice new valves, guides, pistons and gaskets will solve your oil burn issue.

3.) Unscrew the dipstick, wipe the stick dry and insert loosely (don't screw in) The oil should register to the top of the flat end of the stick. The crank holds 950ml when completely drained and the oil filter cleaned out. Overfilling the case will cause oil burning.

Get the front end corrected. It's not worth the risk of injury not to do so.
This one has 10K miles on it. Which I thought was LOW for one of these forever running Hondas

Sam Green
09-27-2010, 04:41 AM
Welcome to the forum Groucho. Re the front wobble, check what Spokes (Chip) says. Other than that, just check that the new front tyre has been mounted correct and check that the wheel is in balance.
Keep us informed.

Sam.:)