PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Will Not Disengage

62benly
09-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Hello

So the 62 benly is doin great. I could'nt be happeir to have her back together again. Only trouble now is my clutch doesnt dis-engage when I pull the lever. It seems like I have tried all adjustments (Tightening and loosening the clucth adjustment screw, messing with the cable adjustments). I am able to get the clutch to disengage a little bit. If I pull the lever and use pretty good force I can get the rear wheel to turn, but thats not good enouph. Im worried that maybe I screwed something up when putting the clutch back together. Has anyone got any advice? Thanks

Sam Green
09-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Clutches lock up easily on these motors with lack of use.
Start the motor and let it warm up.
When warm, put your foot hard on the rear brake and rev the motor hard and stamp it into gear. This will normally realase the plates but if not, it's a tear down of the clutch and release by hand.

Sam.

Spokes
09-05-2010, 06:40 PM
If Sam's advice does not cure the problem and before a tear down starts I have a couple of sugestions. I will warn you of the 3rd suggestion/observation/story before I record it. Sam may think I'm daft and perhaps he may be right.

1.) Make sure the clutch actuator is clean of old grease build up. If not clean and re-lube.
2.) Maybe you have the clutch rod installed backwards.
3.) NOW the story I have to relate. I had the same problem with the CA160 after putting it back together. Same deal. Answer? Ready? OK, I was not dreaming.... In the actuator of the CA160, which is exactly the same as the CA95 there was a small ball bearing in the bore where the clutch push rod fits into. When I fit the side cover back on the little ball bearing fell out and came to rest in the case near the sprocket. I pulled off the case, used grease to hold the ball bearing in place and reassembled the case. Result: a perfect clutch.

I can't say one exsists in the CA95. I don't recall seeing this in the engines that I have built. Just a thought.

Sam Green
09-06-2010, 02:24 AM
I don't think your daft at all Chip, it won't be the cause of the clutch being stuck but it will cause you to run into all sorts of adjustment issues like I had at weekend when I tried to give the sprint bike a quick shake down prior to racing it in a few weeks time.:o now where's my ball bearing gone:D:D:D

Ben will be posting some video of the test when he gets his butt into gear:rolleyes: The motor sounded real well but the clutch issues messed up the session.:(

Sam.:)

Sam Green
09-06-2010, 02:33 AM
I can't say one exsists in the CA95. I don't recall seeing this in the engines that I have built. Just a thought.
[quote spokes]

DITO:D I have plenty of spare units, I'll check tonight.

Spokes
09-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Sam. I am always haunted by the unusual.
I have a lifetime of mechanical stories that should not have happened..but it happened. Go figure.

Sam Green
09-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Well Chip, you had me thinking and wondering then.
I can remember seeing a ball bearing in a clutch pushrod line but not on what model.
The fact that it would be stuck in the adjuster with grease you would never see it and eventually you would forget it was there.
Anyway, there is no ball in the parts book and I was late getting out of work and it's to dark for messing in the garage.
The earliest I can look in some motors will be Friday.

ben1942
05-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Well I tried the rev and drop in gear to free the clutch and it worked but broke the drive gear in 4 pieces, but the good news is I had an extra 14 tooth gear.

Sam Green
05-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Damn, :eek::eek::eek: Are you talking about the gearbox sprocket when you said the drive gear broke ? It must have been well on its way out if that happened. I've used that method hundreds of times and its never failed or done any damage. Perhaps your clutch was a lot more welded than mine.:o

ben1942
05-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Yes it was the gearbox sprocket and I couldn't believe it. I also need to replace the chain as it is streched past any adjustment. That might have something to do with it too.

ben1942
06-03-2011, 03:13 PM
My mostly origional Benly. Replaced headlight switch, have a new front tire , left grip and mirror. Also drive sprocket.

Smithers
06-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Where did you get that front tire might I ask? So now you are waiting on a new drive sprocket? I can't believe that one broke. Maybe you can take a link out of the chain and continue to use it?

weestrom05
06-03-2011, 08:26 PM
amen on the tire. I put the same one on my 62 as you did and its causing a vibration in the seat that the boys dont like. I want to get my 62 ready to ride in the Florida Coast to Coast rally in October and I dont think I can handle the vibration from the front tire. There is a trophy for both the smallest and the oldest bike running the rally. It on roads that one cant go over 50 mph and lead through the countryside from Tampa to Ormond Beach (Daytona) Im shooting for one of the prizes this year. Last year they were both won by a 1958 Sears Alstate (Puch) 250. I dont know what he is planning of riding this year. The toughest part is going to be coming back to Tampa as I dont think I want to ride the Benly on I 4.

ben1942
06-04-2011, 06:37 PM
The front tire is origional and is very dry rotted, took the sprocket from another Benly that I have. I have a blue Benly that I'm going to do next as soon as I sell this one.

Smithers
06-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I was going to be shocked if you found a replacement tire that looked exactly like the original. :) I have my original tires on my CA160 and I won't change them. Nothing looks better than the original style tires!

ben1942
06-05-2011, 05:29 PM
It's strange if I let the bike sit for a day or two the clutch sticks. Today it was stuck and I let the bike warm up for a few minutes and the clutch was fine. Now if I can only find neutral on the first try life would be wonderful. Any ideas or adjustments I can use to find neutral easily?.

ben1942
06-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Problem solved sort of. If I let the bike warm up for 5 minutes I can Find Neutral and the clutch doesn't stick. Now to install the clutch bracket, mirror, tire and it's done. The for sale sign is next.

weestrom05
06-06-2011, 01:58 PM
I dont know if this will prevent it but my experience has been to change the oil and put fresh straight 30 wt oil in it and ride it for a few miles. Fresh oil does wonders for a wet clutch. when I took mine apart I found that there was no oil between the plates causing them to stick. There should be a film of oil between each plate.
Curt

Jetblackchemist
06-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I find neutral on mine by rocking it a little back and forth while tapping a few times on the gear shifter all the way down, then one click up is neutral for me.

62benly
06-11-2011, 06:52 AM
I just recently replaced my neutral bulb. I was sure it would not work but it does, its very convenient for finding neutral.