PDA

View Full Version : 1965 CA95 w/Buco Twinmaster Bags

Spokes
06-12-2010, 09:02 PM
I started the same thread down in the Buco Saddlebag Help Topic section.
But to show all who may not look that far down the list, here is a special project I have been working on.

A very special friend wanted Buco Twinmaster bags for his CA95. He commissioned me to do the bag restoration, build the new duplicate hangers out of stainless steel based on the original design. (I built in some improvements in the meantime) He wanted full lights (spokes custom beehive lens & half chrome visors) double filament bulb sockets and turn signals. We chromed the rear rack to boot along with the saddlebag chrome. I did the stainless polishing.

The final build for me is some 6 volt L.E.D. lights. The 7 tail lights combined with the front running lights including turn signals taxed the electrical output a bit. So I am hand building the L.E.D. lights to reduce the draw. All in all, even with the lights as they are, still very cool. Here is a pic for all.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=5&pictureid=204

aaron7
06-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Very nice looking!

How will the LED's fair with the crappy regulator setup on these bikes?

Brewster
06-13-2010, 05:39 AM
Yes that is a sweet package. The LED lighting should be easy on the old electric system, very low load from LEDs. Spokes do you know where the seat on that bike came from?

aaron7
06-13-2010, 05:53 AM
The LED's would be low load, yes, but soon as you rev the motor they'd all blow!

Spokes
06-13-2010, 07:28 AM
The seat came from Apex Cycle. I have the same one in waiting for my CA160. I do have a real sweet original seat for the 160

Aaron, yes the L.E.D. idea is somewhat an experiment. I nearly done with two to be sent off. We will see what happens.

Sam Green
06-14-2010, 01:43 AM
Very nice Chip, well cool:cool::cool::cool: I'd bet the speed and fuel consumption are well down though.:D

Sam.:)

Spokes
06-14-2010, 05:24 AM
Yes Sam it slows the bike way down. I did a set for myself a couple of years ago on my freshly rebuilt CA95. Black bike, Black bags. I was pleased. Well the crankshaft seized about 4 miles from home. Since I was on side roads, I pushed the bike the whole distance. With the bags on the bike, pushing was torture. The next day I pulled off the bags and put them on eBay.

That's how I got started with Buco bag restorations. There was a market for this type of service. I have done several sets. But for me personally, no bags.

It is just a personal choice of a cool look.

Smithers
06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Wow that's pretty wild. The detail is awesome on that setup. I would be afraid to use that machine in that super nice condition. haha I couldn't imagine pushing the bike with those on! I would be afraid to leave a mark. Those are cool looking though. These bikes already get enough attention. I would be afraid to stop for gas with that bike right there.

Brewster
06-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Motorcycle owners all get the push it home fun from time to time. A friend of mine did a old Harley resto and got the oil lines mixed. He had to push it home up hill and on dirt. Ouch! Old Hondas are much lighter.

wnbasac
06-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Spokes
i'm very interested in LED set up for my bike as i'm getting ready to wire the the bike for blinkers now. you sent me a ( how to wire in blinkers ) for dummies like me, would that be the same set up for LED? I also saw an e-bay auction for a ( 6 volt LED Flasher ) this is a must have i assume.
>
would there be anything else that i would need to change other than the bulbs???
>
i have a nos set of oem front handlebar mount blinkers as well as the switch but i'm unable to locate a rear set up??? do you have any extra rear blinker set up available or are you taking any orders?
>
thanks lou

Spokes
06-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I am building L.E.D. lights in a standard bayonet brass base. Right now it is a bit experimental. I should be done late next week and will be sending them out to be tested. There is no modification to the system at all.

You have some choices about the rear signals. If you want the original looking signal as supplied by Honda for non-USA bikes of the time, then you will need to buy the aftermarket lenses from asia. I can build a light fixture that will fit in the lens thus matching the front and the back. I can build the original rear turn signals for the 1964-1966 CA95 models with the retangle rear plates.

I also build a bullet light rear signal that can be single or double filament. I build the double for my projects as I like some extra light in the rear at night.

You would have to send me your reat fender brackets to install the original type or the bullet type. It would be a 3 week turn around.

below are some pics of the lights I build and an example of how the wiring is installed under the fender.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=206
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=205
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=208
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=209
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=210

The bullet light set up will fit under the Buco brackets. I don't have any extra light assemblies at this time. I can build custom orders. PM me for detail.

wnbasac
06-18-2010, 03:09 PM
thanks i gotta give you PROPS cause you know your stuff!
>
i'll going to go with the OEM rear set up so i'll be sending over my rear fender brackets for your modifications
>
i'll also pick up the 6 volt led flasher what size BULBS?
>
oh do they have to be the same color as the lens, like amber for amber colored lens???
>
Big time thanks again,lou and have a HondaFull Day

Spokes
06-18-2010, 04:35 PM
cool. you have the address.We will work out detail later. Do you have the original style rear lens? If so include them. I will supply the bulbs as I should have them by next week. Just clear bulbs will do in the amber lens.

wnbasac
06-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Ok i bought the 6 Volt LED flasher and searched for LED 6 volt bulbs and found these??
>
will these work just for my turn signals???????

1156-x19-6V LED bulb - 6 Volt

• 19-LED 6 Volt replacement bulb
• 15mm Single Intensity Bayonet Base
• With 19 Wide Viewing Angle LEDs
• Non-Polarized bulb can be with Positive or Negative ground vehicle
• Available with Red, Amber or White LEDs

1157-A19-6V LED bulb - 6 Volt

• 19 Amber LED 6 Volt replacement bulb
• 15mm Dual Intensity Base
• With 19 Wide Viewing Angle LEDs
• Non-Polarized bulb can be with Positive or Negative ground vehicle

Thanks lou and have a HondaFull Day

Spokes
06-28-2010, 05:58 AM
I need to see the 1156 bulb. The 1156 base will fit the bulb fixture for sure in your turn signals and Buco's. The 6 million dollar question is: Will the bulb and base fit in the lens of the handlebar and rear turn signal. The Buco bag beehive lens may fit or you might have to get the Stratolite #53 lens. If you could give me the place to buy one or send me a 1156 6volt LED I can determine what you need. The 6 volt L.E.D. that I build is smaller than the standard lens vailable.

wnbasac
06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
nere's what i found and it lists all the dimensions
>
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F1156_57-x12-24V.htm

Spokes
06-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks. My initial measurements indicate that the 1156 base/bulb may fit the custom base I am building for the "original style" Honda rear turn signal.

When I get your sample bulb and lens we will know for sure.

The 1156 base/bulb may not fit the Buco light. It looks like a no fit for the original Stratolite #53 and a close or no fit for the beehive lens.

Again when I get the sample I will know for sure.

My hand assembled L.E.D. bulbs will fit the Buco fixtures. I have more bases on order.

The 1157 style base part# 1157-w19-6v will replace the Honda Tail Light bulb.

wnbasac
08-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Chip ( Mad Skills )

i was looking at your friends bike that you posted in this thread with the single seat and rear rack.

that single seat has no springs, right so how comfy is it compared to the OEM seat, not bone jarring i hope? are streets in the good old US of A are leaving a lot to be desired and with father time on my back it leaves only the padding on my kester.

i like the rack set up it'll allow me to mount a helmet trunk on it

Spokes
08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
The solo seat is Ok for comfort. It is mounted on a rubber "V" and secured both to the seat mount under the tank and two holes in the cradle of the frame. (already there) Actually the solo seat is wider than the stock seat so it should be easier on the backside.

We had the rack chrome plated. The one you get will be powder coated black. Mounting a helmet case on the rack will be easy.