PDA

View Full Version : Honda CA95 Paint & Clear Coat Finish

Smithers
09-25-2007, 11:27 PM
I was able to paint the whole engine, the side covers and the starter today. I spent maybe 3 hours cleaning the engine from top to bottom with an assortment of tiny pics, brushes, scrapers, a Dremel tool, degreaser, a little acid and good ol soap and water. It was a nasty job but I've gone so far that I had to follow through with some paint. It was a miserable morning.

I went to Carquest Auto Parts of Paso Robles, CA to see what they had in stock for paint. I was able to find some aluminum color parts paint and also clear coat which both were guaranteed to withstand to 500 degrees F. Since this is going to be a bike to ride and not necessarily to trailer to bike shows rattle cans work just fine. You MUST make sure your temperatures are on the warm side and really spray very light coats of color to avoid runs. Spray cans will run if you even hesitate while applying the spray to the surface of your material. I spent less than $15 on paint and it will come out great. I've done this before and people can't even tell it's spray can paint!

Now back at the shop it's time to clean AGAIN! Yep you gotta take another look and clean even more because it's an endless process. Then I made sure there wasn't any oil anywhere by going over the parts with Brakeleen brake cleaner spray. USE GLASSES with this stuff as it will spray into a crevice and do a u-turn right back into your face. I used some 3M tape and went to town around the engine sides and I was sure to cut some tape to cover the "Denso" emblem on the starter.

Smithers
09-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Don't tell anyone I painted this in my backyard. :)

http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/honda/ca95_paint01.jpg

Done with clear and everything. The cylinder will be black and the head silver to match. I'm almost regretting powder coating it all since I had it apart... damn, I should have! But really if it was a Honda CB72 (Superhawk 250) or anything like that I would have for sure.

I'm in the process of getting my Superhawk back on the rode for some cruising. I need to locate all the petcock and fuel bowl gaskets and it will be ready to ride in a minute. The moment that thing starts a bad oil leak I'll probably yank the motor, do a complete tear down and have it powder coated. But for this little guy it's just not necessary.

Smithers
09-27-2011, 05:26 AM
For cleaning and painting info of how I did the cylinder hear view this thread here: http://fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=106

Jetblackchemist
09-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Very nice, it looks like a new engine. I noticed on the cleaning and polish side of things, on mine that the aluminum on the transmission case seems to be a different grade alloy than the side covers. Is that something you've noticed in your engine builds?
In a couple of years when I tear mine down off frame again for a total restore, I am definitely going to spray the transmission case, and replace all the exposed bolts etc. with chrome hardware. Have you ever tried one of the plastic snap onto the top spray can handle/trigger things? They are pretty inexpensive and make the rattle can paint lay as if were painted with a spray gun.
~Jim

Spokes
09-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I do think that the engine case alloy is different than the engine cover cases. IF I do another CA95/CA160 engine I won't do the rattle can method. I painted my CA160 engine with the same paint as the my other restores..thinking the paint was gas resistant...well I had a fuel leak when I first added fuel to my 66 160...and it melted the paint...phoey. The paint was high heat type with a clear coat and cured for 4 months while I finished the build.

Next time...2 part automotive paint for the engine. You can purchase high heat engine paint in any color you choose. My frame parts & tank are painted with 2 part acrylic enamel, thinned and applied with a HVLP gun. The 2 part acrylic enamel is fuel resistant and wears well.

Never again a rattle can engine paint job for me......

Jetblackchemist
09-28-2011, 01:14 AM
That's a good point. Gas being a solvent, is one of those minor details that can get over looked, in the sake of fast, cheap and on the easy.

We all know the little corners we have cut to save time and money, in our restoration or one off customization. Those corners only seem to become a regret later, near completion at least that's been my experience. But on the bright side, this gives me an excuse to restore it again in a few years. At that time, I will be very meticulous on the whole build, not just parts of it.

After my CA95 project, I have a Jacuzzi to repair, an old riding lawn mower to restore, and I am going to be building a boat for next summer. There's a motorcycle recycle center not too far away, with over 3000 bikes and growing daily, that I might pop into and see if something in there tickles my fancy...how could I not? I salivate just thinking about what I might find in there. :)

Smithers
09-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Oh no that place sounds like you could just walk in and never come out!!

Yeah the spray paints aren't exactly good at resisting oil and fuel. If you're going for a show winner or something to stay perfect the rattle cans aren't the way to go. But for a cheap coating you can't beat it and it's better than nothing. :D

I got my fair share of projects. I just sold a huge project car I finished and I have a truck I'm still painting. We need to start a "watcha workin on now?" thread!

Jetblackchemist
10-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Here's a link to the place, should be a good stop for parts. If you fill out a part inquiry they will take a look and get back with you. http://www.motorcycle-recycle-center.com/ oh yeah, I know i'd be junk drunk in there it's like a paradise from the pictures :P

Projects are fun stuff and even better when profitable.

Smithers
10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Holy Moley!